[COMM-ORG] Community Empowerment Publication

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 14 09:54:20 CDT 2010

  Community Empowerment Publication
From: Akwugo Emejulu <akwugo.emejulu at ed.ac.uk>

__________
The Glasgow Papers
Community Empowerment: Critical Perspectives from Scotland
Edited by Akwugo Emejulu and Mae Shaw

The theme that unites this publication is a concern about the meaning,
politics, possibilities and practices of empowerment. As our
contributors demonstrate, community empowerment is neither an
unproblematic idea nor necessarily an unmitigated social good. The
challenge for those working in communities--especially as the state
begins to withdraw support--is redefining what we want community
empowerment to be and what practices we should undertake to achieve this
vision.

You can download a .pdf version of this publication here:
http://www.povertyalliance.org.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/research/TheGlasgowPapers.pdf

Dr. Akwugo Emejulu
Lecturer
Moray House School of Education