[COMM-ORG] NPA financial reform organzing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 29 19:55:48 CST 2010

  From: Showdown in America <showdown at npa-us.org>

November 23rd, 2010

http://showdowninamerica.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=785&qid=173470

Banks like Bank of America and Wells Fargo continue to drag out our
economic recovery by avoiding their responsibility to fix the
foreclosure crisis.

And, to add insult to injury, these big banks recently got rated
"Outstanding" for how well they serve our communities.

Last week around the country we took action to demand the big banks fix
the foreclosure crisis they created and halt foreclosures until
homeowners have a real chance to save their homes and restore our
communities.

Watch video and read about some of the highlights:

Missouri - Missourians protested outside a Bank of America branch last
Thursday. Finny Dorsey of Grass Roots Organizing summed up the group's
anger: "These greedy banks are getting ready to hand out $144 billion in
bonuses, and they still have the nerve to kick families out of their
homes…we call a rat a rat. We call a crook a crook. Bank of America,
you're BAD FOR AMERICA."

Iowa - Iowans fed up with big banks and the agencies who regulate them
protested outside the offices of the Comptroller of the Currency and two
bank branches, last Friday. "Bank of America and Wells Fargo aren't
"Outstanding", they're Outrageous." said Mike McCarthy, an Iowa CCI
member from Des Moines. "Their subprime and reckless lending practices
helped cause an economic meltdown, tore apart the fabric of our local
communities and destroyed the personal finances of millions of American
families and homeowners.

Ohio - Standing outside a foreclosed home in Cincinnati whose owner had
been refused a loan modification but is still being billed by the city,
Communities United For Action called on Chase to fix their mess.

Massachusetts - Community leaders and members of the Alliance to Develop
Power gathered at the condemned home of Diane McCloud to callout Goldman
Sachs and Litton Loan Services and demand they clean up their mess and
start investing back into the community. "I purchased my home in 1986
for $61,000 and in 24 years I have never missed a payment. But now
Litton Loan Services says I owe over $80,000. How is that possible?"
said Diane McCloud. "I used to feel like I failed my family. But now I
realize that it's the Big Banks that are failing me and other everyday
people like me who are struggling to make ends meet.

Kansas - Sunflower Community Action leaders went to Bank of America and
to their Attorney General's office to ask that the Attorney General meet
with homeowners and concerned community leaders about their ongoing
foreclosure investigation.

More actions to come this week. Check them out >>

Where's the Note? Reports continue to come in about how big banks like
Bank of America continue to illegally foreclose on families. Make sure
your bank is following the letter of the law—ask them to produce the
note, and email us the response you receive.

Yours,

Showdown in America

Showdown in America is a national bank accountability campaign of
National People's Action (NPA) - a Network of community power
organizations from across the country that work to advance a national
economic and racial justice agenda.

810 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
United States