[COMM-ORG] job: One DC, Washington DC, no salary info
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 20 11:09:11 CST 2010
From: Gloria Robinson <onedcjob at gmail.com>
Subject: ONE DC Employment Opportunity
Having trouble viewing this email?
About ONE DC:
ONE DC (formerly Manna CDC) is a progressive popular education and
group that has been operating in the District of Columbia since 1997.
Based on our
analysis of and experience with the tremendous economic and social
changes in DC,
we have developed a mission "to continually create and preserve racial
equity in the District."
In our short history, ONE DC has distinguished itself as one of a few
in Washington, DC that moves beyond service provision to build
capacity and leadership so that low-income people of color can speak for
ONE DC promotes leadership that does not tell others what to do, but
take charge to build their abilities and skills; it is not about being
but about building more leadership in the community to increase capacity
long term. Finally, ONE DC recognizes that leadership cannot exist
support and power of the whole community. Central to ONE DC's leadership
the identification and dismantling of systemic influences such as
and sexism that manifest both individually and institutionally.
ONE DC's progressive organizing values are heavily influenced by the
and achievements of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee
(SNCC), as well
as other groups and people-led movements for justice and human rights
occurred throughout the world.
Organizationally, ONE DC has formally implemented a non-hierarchical,
structure that recognizes, supports and encourages the abilities and
of its board, members and staff.
Job Opportunity: Community Organizer(Full-time)
ONE DC is seeking a creative and dynamic individual with a proven track
join the ONE DC team as a Community Organizer for ONE DC's Right to
Income and Right
to Housing/Land Campaigns. The successful candidate will:
1. Take a lead role in building an effective organizing team by
resident leaders, staff and Community Organizing Committee to develop
and organizing strategies to achieve community controlled development,
job access, housing policy and income/economic equity outcomes.
2. Work with organizing team to implement said organizing strategies.
3. Develop outreach strategies and approaches that are innovative and
of the membership body
4. Conduct 15-25 hours of outreach, leader visits, etc. per week with
5. Recruit and develop ONE DC members.
6. Assist in mentoring Organizing Team members and ONE DC member organizers
7. Increase the leadership capacity of ONE DC members on the community
development, living wage job access, housing policy and income/economic
8. Secure media coverage of ONE DC organizing work.
9. Assist in the planning and implementation of ONE DC organizational
10. Perform organizing campaign related administrative tasks as needed
to sustaining the organization.
11. Attend regular staff meetings, planning sessions, etc.
1. Three to five years demonstrated direct organizing/base building
2. Strong computer and internet skills;
3. Ability to build unity and motivate others to action;
4. Good communication skills, written, verbal, and interpersonal; and
5. Self-motivated and skilled at working as part of a team.
1. Knowledge of Washington, DC issues and organizations;
2. Knowledge of national employment equity and housing policy issues and
3. Spanish or Chinese language proficiency preferred;
4. Strong research skills;
5. Eye for detail;
6. Flexible hours, including a willingness to work evenings and some
7. Creativity and sense of humor;
8. A reflexive professional practice and active commitment to self-critique;
9. Willingness to engage in honest, though constructive, mindful, and
reciprocal critique of work with teams and other staff.
ONE DC offers a generous salary and benefits package. ONE DC is strongly
to staff development and training. This is an opportunity for an
individual to build
meaningful relationships with grassroots communities and to be a part of
social change. People of color, women, LGBTQ and bilingual applicants
encouraged to apply.
Please submit resume and cover letter (including salary expectations)
onedcjob at gmail.com
This email was sent to rstoecker at wisc.edu by onedcjob at gmail.com.
Update Profile/Email Address
Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
Email Marketing by
ONE DC | 614 S Street NW | Rear Carriage House | Washington | DC | 20001
e-mail: rstoecker at wisc.edu
Department of Community and Environmental Sociology
350 Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Tel: (608) 890-0764
Fax: (608) 262-6022
More information about the Colist