[COMM-ORG] NPA: Working with Elizabeth Warren to Hold Banks Accountable

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 20 09:15:45 CST 2010

  From: Showdown in America <showdown at npa-us.org>

National People's Action and 20 community leaders from across the United
States met with Professor Elizabeth Warren, at her office in Washington,
DC, this past Monday.

Prof. Warren is a Special Advisor to President Obama and is in charge of
setting up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). At this
first meeting, Warren committed to working with National People's Action
and the Showdown in America campaign to ensure the agency works for the
People. She also asked that we help the defend the new agency from
attacks by the big banks and their puppets in Congress.

Reverend Robert Bushey, a leader at Illinois People's Action, said "I'm
ready to back up Professor Warren and the CFPB, but also to hold her
accountable to our communities."

Our voices are being heard and we now have a great opportunity to
strengthen financial regulation in this country. We're going to need you
in the coming months to contact your elected officials, and speak out to
defend the CFPB, and make sure it delivers on the promise to stop
predatory lending. Stay tuned!

At the meeting: Illinois People's Action, Alliance to Develop Power in
Massachusetts, Citizens United for Action in Ohio, GRO-Grass Roots
Organizing in Missouri, Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement,
Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, People United for
Sustainable Housing in Buffalo, Sunflower Community Action in Kansas,
and the PICO National Network.

Showdown in America is a national bank accountability campaign of
National People's Action (NPA) - a Network of community power
organizations from across the country that work to advance a national
economic and racial justice agenda.

810 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
United States