[COMM-ORG] Talking Community Organizing History to Plan for Future

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 6 10:09:50 CDT 2010

  From: Walter Davis <walter at noacentral.org>

The National Organizers Alliance is Organizing History Discussions
around the country to look at the organizing experiences of a city or
region. Local organizers and activists, who lived through the
experiences will participate in the conversations. Join us to creatively
and critically reflect on recent decades of organizing. Ane the
implications for this post-election period.
Organizers and allies are invited to bring their own take on history to
share. What did organizing achieve in our communities? How did we change
ourselves? What were our strategies? What battles were won or lost? What
lessons were drawn? What do we value in the history of the struggle?

In November, the first two events:

November 13, Seattle, Washington, 5:30 - 8 pm, Saturday. Banish those
post-election blues! Location: Martin Luther King, Jr. Central Labor
Council. 2800 1st Ave. Co-Sponsors: AFL-CIO Organizing Institute. Music.
Singing. Speakers. Snacks and refreshments. See this website for later
details or write to us at  info at noacentral.org. ALERT: Mother Jones
herself (Therese Diekhans) will make a special visit at 7 pm. Ericka
Taylor will serve as MC. Go to the NOA website for more details:
www.noacentral.org or email your RSVP to attend to info at noacentral.org

November 30, Maryville, Tennessee.  3:30 - 5:00 pm, Maryville College.
Leadership for Social Change: support the new generation of organizers:
Speakers: civil rights leader Avon Rollins, long time former director of
Save Our Cumberland Mountains Maureen O'Connell, urban organizer Bill
Murrah, immigrant leader and Highlander staff person Monica Hernandez.
Co-moderated by Billy Newton, Director of the Center for Strong
Communities and National Organizers Alliance (NOA) Director Walter
Davis. Co-sponsored by Center and NOA.

For December events, go to www.noacentral.org.

Walter Davis, Executive Director
National Organizers Alliance