[COMM-ORG] health care organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 27 14:38:26 CDT 2010

From: "Scott Reed" <news at piconetwork.org>

Dear PICO leaders and friends,

On behalf of the PICO network I want to thank you for the extraordinary
work you have done to bring the voices of working families and faith
communities into the historic debate over reforming the American health
care system.

Three years ago, you took up the banner of covering all children.    You
persevered through setbacks and helped show that it was possible to make
real progress on health care in Washington, DC that has already improved
the lives of 2.6 million young people in the United States.

Over the past year, your persistence and at-times shear repetition
helped make affordability a defining issue in reform.   Your efforts
contributed to a decision last month by the Administration and Congress
to add $122 billion in additional subsidies to lowering premiums and
out-of-pocket costs for low-wage workers, increase reimbursement rates
for primary care providers in Medicaid (which will make it easier for
low-income families to find quality doctors), and include $12 billion in
new funding for safety-net clinics.

When the debate got ugly in August and politicians began to wonder
whether people supported reform, you helped organize more than 50
rallies and prayer vigils in 18 states that showed the deep community
support for moving forward.   You helped organize a national call with
the faith community and President Obama that gathered 140,000 people,
providing an opportunity for local clergy and community leaders -
including eight from the PICO network - to share the need for reform and
raise issues of importance to the faith community to the Obama
Administration.

Throughout, you have helped bring the debate back to the stories of
families.  You joined with more than a thousand people who had their
pictures and stories added to a multi-media exhibit that traveled across
the country from San Diego to Little Rock, Arkansas to the U.S. Capitol,
and places in between, to demonstrate the urgency of making affordable
health coverage available to every American.

Nine times over the past year you've come to DC to meet with your
Members of Congress.  I'm proud that our network was represented at key
moments in the debate, from the beginning at the CHIP signing in
February 2009 and the White House summit on health reform in March 2009
to the final vote in the House on Sunday and Tuesday's event with the
President after he signed the legislation into law.

Thousands of organizations and millions of individuals participated in
this great debate over what kind of nation we want to be.  None of us
alone is responsible for the outcome nor every element of the final
legislation.   Together though, we had a say in a debate that resulted
in the nation finally putting in place a framework that makes health
care a universal right for all Americans, with all the security and
opportunity that comes from knowing that you can see a doctor or get the
medicine you need when you get sick.

Our work is far from over.  As in the Civil Rights Movement, passing the
law establishing the right is just the beginning.  We have much work to
educate people about what reform means for each of us personally; to
overcome fear and division and bring people together in local
communities to plan for health reform, to make sure there are enough
quality health care providers in low-income communities; and to take
advantage of the resources from reform to erase the horrendous racial
and economic disparities in health and life opportunities that plague
our communities.

At the end of the day, PICO is a tool for you to use in making your
voice heard and negotiating your interests in public life.   The arc of
the moral universe bends toward justice because we bend it.   Thank you
for all you have done to bend it on health care and all of the other
work you do on behalf of yourself, your families and your communities.

Sincerely,

Scott Reed, Executive Director

p.s. Here is a link to a good fact sheet about the legislation from our
friends at Georgetown University Center for Children and Families
http://ccf.georgetown.edu/index/cms-filesystem-action?file=ccf%20publications/health%20reform/health%20reform%20package%20final.pdf