[COMM-ORG] job: director, New Orleans, no salary info
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 24 20:52:19 CDT 2010
From: Michael-Ray Mathews <mrmathews at piconetwork.org>
Job: Executive Director – The Micah Project, New Orleans, LA
About the MICAH Project:
Established in 2007 by clergy who wanted to see real change in their
communities, the MICAH Project is a social justice organization working
to create innovative solutions to problems facing the people of the New
Orleans and Jefferson Parish area. This Organization represents a
non-partisan, multiracial, multicultural collective of clergy along with
their congregations who are united for a common good. Our focus is to
develop leadership while helping to empower people to improve public
schools, increase access to health care, address affordable housing and
better our communities. The MICAH Project believes that great
accomplishments can come from the faith community. We believe that in
providing families and our religious congregation with the motivation,
inspiration and resources to walk humbly for justice we can change lives
for the better. The MICAH Project is also an affiliate of the PICO
(People Improving Communities through Organizing) National Network
(www.piconetwork.org) and PICO LIFT (Louisiana Interfaith Together -
A PICO Network Staff Director, the MICAH Project Executive Director has
overall responsibility for the day to day management and operation of
the congregation-based community organization. This includes the
• Insuring the financial stability and health of the organization
• Managing the fundraising activities of staff, the Board of Directors
or its sub-committees.
• Development, support and coordination of organizational leaders at the
local and federated levels.
• Implementing efficient and effective personnel and financial
management policies and procedures.
• Assisting leadership in defining organizational vision and goals and
implementing strategies that relate to issues in member congregations
and the larger community.
• Insure that leadership and staff participate in on-going PICO
training, development, and technical assistance programs.
• Hiring staff with support from the personnel committee, training and
supervising all professional and administrative staff.
• Developing and supporting LOCs in diverse faith communities.
• The Executive Director will make appropriate monthly written reports
to the Board.
• The candidate should have experience managing staff, fundraising, and
managing a budget of $250K or more.
• The candidate should have a minimum of 3 years of proven and
progressively responsible organizing experience, preferably in a PICO
congregation-based community organization.
• The candidate should be thoroughly familiar with the principles and
practices associated with the Congregation-Community Model of
Organizing, preferably trained for the Executive Director position.
• The candidate should be active in a faith community and demonstrates
competence and leadership in multi-faith, multi-lingual, multi-cultural
• The candidate should be able to work effectively in educational,
political and congregational settings.
• Strong familiarity with Greater New Orleans community would be preferable.
• Demonstrated passion, and commitment to social justice.
• Baccalaureate degree, basic computer skills and English/Spanish
preferred. Qualifications may be waived in light of prior, relevant,
full-time work life experience and demonstrated leadership abilities
needed by the MICAH Project.
• Strong interpersonal skills are a must.
Learn more about faith-based community organizing at
All applicants must apply for this position online at
http://bit.ly/MicahED. Please have the following documents ready to be
included with your application:
1. An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) ready to
be uploaded with your application, AND
2. A cover letter (outlining your qualifications for this position)
ready to be cut and pasted into the online application form.
For more information about this position, contact Rev. Jennifer
Jones-Bridgett, executive director of PICO Louisiana at
jjones at picolouisiana.org or Rev. Michael-Ray Mathews, Director of
Outreach & Recruitment for PICO National at jobs at piconetwork.org.
Rev. Michael-Ray Mathews ▪ National Staff
PICO National Network ▪ Unlocking the Power of People
www.piconetwork.org ▪ mrmathews at piconetwork.org
1100 Shasta Avenue, Suite 220 ▪ San José, California 95126
P (866) 550-PICO, ext. 707 ▪ F (408) 998-5486 ▪ M (408) 772-3190
Want a career that will change the world?: www.organizingcareers.org
More information about the Colist