[COMM-ORG] health care organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 22 08:52:40 CDT 2010

[ed:  this is the statement from PICO following the historic vote for
health care reform in the House of Representatives last night.]

From: "Rev. George Cummings" <news at piconetwork.org>

"You shall be called the repairers of the breach," Isaiah 58

Dear Friend,

The United States just made history.

Tonight, the House of Representatives passed health reform legislation
that will guarantee virtually all American families access to
affordable health coverage for the first time in our nation's history.

Reform will "repair the breach" that tens of millions of
working people now face in their struggle to find affordable health
coverage for their families.

When fully implemented, reform will ban insurance companies from
denying people coverage for pre-existing conditions or raising their
rates if they get sick; extend coverage to 32 million Americans who
would otherwise be uninsured; and reduce the federal deficit by more
than $100 billion over the next decade.  It will also put $12 billion
in new funding towards safety-net programs that are essential to
low-income families.

The President is expected to sign the bill later this week, and the
Senate plans to finish work over the next two weeks on amendments to
the legislation added by the House.

While not everyone supported the legislation in the end, the benefits
that reform will bring for poor and working families are undeniable.
Lower premiums, tax credits to help purchase coverage, protections from
insurance company abuses and a guaranteed set of benefits will bring
greater financial stability and better health to millions of families.

It has been a long road for many of our Members of Congress, and so it
is especially important that they continue to hear from their
constituents.  You can find out how your Member voted at
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/111/house/2/165?ref=policy.

As we have throughout the debate, we continue to urge people of faith
to consult their own faith traditions as they make their voice heard on
this critical issue.

Over the coming months and years much work will need to be done to
strengthen health reform and bring its benefits home to our
communities.  We thank you for your continued prayerful participation
in this historic endeavor.

Thank you,

Rev. George Cummings
Imani Community Church, Oakland, CA