[COMM-ORG] VOP state budget action

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 20 11:11:18 CDT 2010

[ed: you may have read about the Virginia governor's approach to their
budget woes. Here is VOP's community organizing approach.]

From: Virginia Organizing Project <e-action at virginia-organizing.org>

703 Concord Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903-5208
(434) 984-4655 • (434) 984-2803 fax
www.virginia-organizing.org Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VOP411

Dear friends,

Last week the Virginia Organizing Project took an unusual approach the
budget cuts and the need for revenue by delivering a giant check the
Governor’s office. Apparently, the Governor’s office is not used to
residents wanting to contribute money to the state’s general fund.

That’s why we made quite an impression last Friday when we strolled into
the Governor’s office with a giant check made out to the Commonwealth of
Virginia.

The $921.01 donation was the result of “bake sales for the budget” held
statewide on March 4. The bake sales brought together members of the
community to raise revenue for the state budget and to remind
legislators that a cuts-only approach is irresponsible and will hurt
education, health care and public safety at a time when Virginians need
them most.

Click Here for Video of the Check Presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADAYue5g--0

Click Here for More Photos of the Check Presentation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiaorganizingproject/sets/72157623606922672/

The bake sales and the check delivery were a light-hearted approach to
the serious budget problem. With your help,VOP will continue to
encourage legislators to protect our public systems and look for new
revenue sources, one giant check at a time.

Thanks for all your support.

Janice “Jay” Johnson

Chairperson