[COMM-ORG] What's New at CVH?

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 14 16:54:12 CDT 2010

From:     Talia L. Schank <talia at cvhaction.org>

Friends:

Members of Community Voices Heard have been off to quite a start this
year. A few updates:

*Local Jobs for America Act*
Members in New York City and Newburgh have worked hard since January to
gather support from local elected officials to push for a community jobs
bill to help revitalize families and local communities. Their work paid
off today with the introduction of the Local Jobs for America Act,
written by U.S. Rep. George Miller (D-CA), which would create 1 million
public and private sector jobs. The bill will provide $75 billion over
two years to local communities to hold off on planned cuts or re-hire
workers who were laid off because of budget cuts.

Earlier in the year, the New York City and Newburgh chapters held press
conferences announcing the support of various elected officials signing
on as co-sponsors of the bill. CVH will keep you posted as the bill
progresses through Congress.

*Women for Economic Justice Briefing*
Welfare & Workforce Development campaign members traveled to Washington,
D.C. in late February to attend and participate in the briefing hosted
by Women for Economic Justice, a coalition

Members met with various elected and agency officials to create
awareness on job creation and public assistance. Meetings included
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's office, staff of Health and Human Services
to discuss Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Chief of
Staff with Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), and staff of the House Ways and
Means Committee.

Briefings at the House and Senate were highly attended.

*2010 U.S. Census
*CVH is working with its members to reach out to local communities to
increase awareness and participation in the 2010 U.S. Census. In
addition to determining electoral districts, the Census is a critical
determinant for the allocation of federal funds. CVH members are working
to ensure that populations and needs of low-income communities are
represented and funded accordingly.

This past weekend, members from our Newburgh Chapter knocked on doors,
urging people to be counted. The article linked below notes estimates
that for every 100 people not counted, approximately "$1.2 million [is
lost] over the next decade in federally funded programs."

Door-to-Door Visits Target Newburghers, Urging Reply to Census
<http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100307/NEWS/3070324/-1/SITEMAP>

The work of our members is possible because of your support of our
Direct Members, who pay membership dues of $60 a year. Please join us
today in our fight for economic justice by becoming a Solidarity Member
with a gift of $120.
<https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/ExpressDonation.aspx?ORGID2=133901997>

In Solidarity,

Your friends at Community Voices Heard

--
Randy Stoecker

Professor
e-mail:  rstoecker at wisc.edu

Department of Community and Environmental Sociology
350 Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Madison, Wisconsin
53706