[COMM-ORG] health care organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 9 08:18:01 CST 2010

From:     Bertha Lewis, ACORN <newsacorn at acorn.org>

***********
Shut them down   [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfasource=acorn ]

"Karen Ignagni, AHIP CEO"

Deputize yourself and help arrest the insurance companies [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]
***********

Dear Randy,

Today our partners in Health Care for America Now (HCAN) are taking it
to the streets.

The insurance companies are having a conference in Washington, DC to
plot how to kill health reform. Thousands are gathering "as we speak" to
perform a citizens' arrest. Even though you can't be there in person,
you can help us hold the insurance companies accountable for their crimes.

*We've obtained the fax numbers for the offices of the insurance
companies. With your help, we can "shut them down! "* [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]

Chris Shiflett, guitarist in the Foo Fighters, has recorded a video to
deputize you into the citizens' posse so you can help us arrest the
insurance companies.

*Click here to watch the video and send a free fax of a wanted poster
with an insurance CEO's face on it to the insurance company offices.* [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]

Even if you can't be with us in person you can help us arrest their fax
machines and *shut them down!* [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]
Imagine -- "thousands" upon "thousands" of wanted posters showing up at
the offices of the insurance companies.

The insurance companies have committed awful crimes against the American
people:
  * They violate contracts by selling you insurance and then denying you
care [1]
  * They launder money through other front groups -- including tens of
millions through the ultra right-wing Chamber of Commerce [2]
  * They pervert our democracy by bribing public officials by spending
millions per day on corporate lobbyists [3]
  * And 45,000 people die every year because they don't have insurance [4]

*It's time to arrest them, and you can help. Click here to deputize
yourself and send a fax to the insurance companies to let them know
we're coming after them!* [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]

Today we're arresting the insurance companies. Tomorrow HCAN is taking
the people's message to Congress with a citizens' lobbying day on
Capitol Hill. They'll tell Congress that they need to listen to the
people, not insurance company criminals, and pass health reform that
works for us -- now!

President Obama has called for an up-or-down vote on health reform by
Easter. Congress is already gearing up to meet the deadline. [5]

*It's time to stand up together and "stop" the insurance companies.*

*Click here to help us arrest the insurance companies. Send them a fax
right now! * [
http://healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/arrestfax&source=acorn ]

In solidarity and strength,

Bertha Lewis
ACORN CEO and Chief Organizer

*[1]* In Health Care, Number Of Claims Denied Remains A Mystery  [
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/18/in-health-care-number-of_n_291881.html
]-- "Huffington Post"
*[2] * Health Insurers Funded Chamber Attack Ads [
http://undertheinfluence.nationaljournal.com/2010/01/health-insurers-funded-chamber.php
] -- "National Journal"
*[3] *Lobbyists Spend Millions to Influence Health Care [
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/health-care-reform/2009/07/health_care_continues_its_inte.html
] -- "Washington Post"
*[4]* 45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance [
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/18/deaths.health.insurance/ ] -- "CNN"
*[5]* Obama Calls for 'Up or Down Vote' on Health Care Bill  [
http://nytimes.com/2010/03/04/health/policy/04health.html ]-- "New York
Times"

 [ http://www.acorn.org ]