[COMM-ORG] query: disaster prevention and response organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 8 09:55:08 CST 2010

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with responses to Wettaka's
query.]

From: wettaka abasar <wabasar at yahoo.com>

Dear Members,

Iam part of a team doing a survey on Malaria for the CLINTON FOUNDATION
in Eatern Uganda.

I visited the affected communities as the heavy rains were pouring down
the hills.I visited the school and health centre where hundreds of rural
dwellers were burried.

I talked to the school children who are now burried.The Government as
well as the Red Cross have intervened but still gaping holes in the
relief effort remain.

I have just come from Butaleja District where the Manafwa and Namatala
Rivers have bust their banks.

About three hundred families have been lucky to escape but may not
survive the hunger and water borne diseases that will result from the
floods.The community coping mechanisms seems to be wanting.

Kindly share with me how we can deal with long term strategies of
landslide prevention and short term interventions to suppliment
Government efforts.