[COMM-ORG] Call for papers: "Strategic Decision-Making in Labor and Social Movement Organizations", UCLA, May 2010

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:22:10 CST 2010

From: "Chris Tilly" <chris_tilly at irle.ucla.edu>

Call for Papers

“Strategic Decision-Making in

Labor and Social Movement Organizations”

An Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference

Hosted by the UCLA Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)

and the UCLA Sociology Department’s Work, Labor, and Social Movements
Working Group

UCLA

Los Angeles, CA

May 28, 2010

The UCLA Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) and the
Sociology Department’s Work, Labor, and Social Movements working group
invites 1-2 page proposals for an interdisciplinary graduate student
conference on strategic decision-making in labor and social movement
organizations. The conference aims to create a forum for discussion of
the historical and emerging forms of strategic decision-making in
organizations struggling to protect or advance the interests of their
constituents/members, and to highlight scholarship with important
practical implications. Discussants will include both scholars and
activists. We are especially interested in papers that analyze
innovative strategies and tactics. The conference seeks proposals from a
wide range of scholarly fields in the social sciences, including, but
not limited to: sociology, political science, anthropology, ethnic
studies departments, and urban planning.

Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:

¨ The effect of different institutional sources of knowledge on
strategic decision-making

¨ Strategic decision-making in coalition movements

¨ Different “framing” strategies and how they affect resource mobilization

¨ The determinants of strategic and tactical innovation

¨ International and historical approaches to strategic decision-making

¨ Strategic decision-making in transnational labor and social movement
organizations

Please send all proposals by March 29th 2010, to Anthony Ocampo:
anthony.ocampo at gmail.com

Please forward to anyone who might be interested!

(I apologize, but due to the volume of email I often am not able to read
email in timely fashion. If you need to reach me urgently, please call
me on my cell phone, 617-997-6479.)

Chris Tilly

Director, Institute for Research on Labor and Employment and Professor
of Urban Planning

IRLE

UCLA

10945 Le Conte Ave., Suite 2107