[COMM-ORG] DREAM Act organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 19 20:20:50 CST 2010

  From: Gordon Whitman <gwhitman at piconetwork.org>

To view this message in a browser:
http://www.actonsoftware.com/acton/rif/710/s-00d0-1012/-/l-sf-cl-7014000000=
0Sorg-0023:7079/l-sf-cl-70140000000Sorg-0023/showPreparedMessage

Friends,

This morning the U.S. Senate voted 55 to 41 in favor of the DREAM Act,
but failed to win the 60 votes needed to pass the law.

We know this is a great disappointment for all of us who fought so hard
to see the DREAM Act become reality in 2010. Our hearts and prayers go
out to the young people who's futures are put at risk by today's vote.

Please thank your Members of Congress who supported immigrant youth, and
express your disappointment to those who voted no. It is critically
important that our elected officials know that we watch their votes and
value our own votes. You can use PICO's toll free number at
1-866-945-0566.

Your efforts over the past months have demonstrated that our nation
supports the DREAM Act and a humane immigration policy. Passing DREAM
through the House and winning 55 votes in the Senate were important
accomplishments. The days ahead will require much of us. Let's recommit
to standing with our young people, trusting in our faith and the
goodness of our nation.

Thank you for everything you've done and will do in the future to help
our nation live up to its best values.

Regina Martinez

Gordon Whitman

PICO national staff

p.s. Here is what we know about the vote:

Five Democrats -- Sens. Max Baucus (Mont.), Kay Hagan (N.C.), Ben Nelson
(Neb.), Mark Pryor (Ark.) and Jon Tester (Mont.) -- joined most
Republicans in voting against the measure. Three Republicans, Sens. Bob
Bennett (Utah), Richard Lugar (Ind.) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), voted
yes.

Four members -- Sens. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.), Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), Orrin
Hatch (R-Utah) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) -- were not present for the
vote.

Here is a link

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/12/senate-defeats-dream-act.html=

to a Washington Post article about the emotional scene in the Senate
during the vote.

Gordon Whitman, National Staff
PICO National Network
O (202) 544-8415 =E2=96=AA M (202) 427-2992 =E2=96=AA F (202) 315-3568