[COMM-ORG] query: Overcoming Technology Barriers in Community Organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 6 09:21:05 CST 2010

  [ed:  thanks to Peter for replying to Khyati's query.]

From: Peter Miller <peterm at igc.org>

Khyati et al, the Community Technology Centers' Network (www.ctcnet.org)
was a national organization working with community orgs to set up CTCs,
technology access and training centers, specifically for low-income,
low-literacy communities and populations that would not otherwise have
effective access to emerging technologies.  CTCNet worked with, among
other projects, the digital divide network that supported a zip-code
searchable database of more than 20,000 programs across the country.

While neither organization is currently active, the "CTC Start-Up"
manual is still available from the home page, directly at
http://ctcnet.org/what/resources/startup_manual.htm.  There are enough
CTC-type programs around that it's worth making inquiries about what may
be nearby and could possibly be of service.  As the founding network
director for CTCNet, I'd be glad to offer advice and assistance to any
of you needing help in pursuing the best options for the situation
you're facing.  Good luck, ----peter miller (peterm at igc.org)