[COMM-ORG] query: Community organizing vs. Community Development

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 28 12:10:26 CDT 2010

  [ed: Richard continues the discussion.]

From: Richard Layman <rlaymandc at yahoo.com>

Thanks for these interesting responses.  My meta-goal at the local level
is revitalizing and repopulating the center city.  That means dealing
with everything--commercial district revitalization, housing, human
services policy, schools, health care, how government is organized,
transportation, etc.  Although I have my areas of interest and
preference and I don't personally work on everything.  (But my blog
covers a wide range of local issues.)

And figuring out how to deal with the opposing forces and try as best as
possible to make multiple conflicting goals and objectives more
congruent (e.g., the need for investment vs. displacement and fears of
change--often called gentrification, how property tax methods are based
on property value and not indexed for income, how to keep housing
affordable you need a housing policy and have to remove some housing
from the market in order to permanently maintain affordability in strong
real estate markets, but this limits household wealth building, historic
preservation vs. personal freedom to butcher your house, etc.).

Being outside of government makes it easier (a lot easier) to be able to
be challenging.  I spent the last year working for Baltimore County,
Maryland in the office of planning, and it was very enlightening--I had
never worked directly for a government agency before--in terms of the
authority of the executive, how this was wielded within the government
and agencies didn't step out of line, how to deal with and position vis
a vis other agencies, and the reality that the nonelected chief
administrator (not term limited) had the most power of anyone.

Like Larry's friend, although they stayed employed, over the years
various functions community development function, the permitting and
review section, transportation planning) have been stripped from the OP
to reduce the agency's power to challenge the status quo.  While the
office is intellectually progressive in terms of smart growth policy,
translating this into on the ground policy and practice is very
difficult.  And developers and the land use bar are the primary funders
of politcal campaigns.

But with regard to both Larry and John's comments, I end up saying most
of the time that I all I do is ameliorate the worst excesses of
capitalism, and that progressives are likely to accuse me of being a
neoliberal.  Political economy is great for understanding how the system
works, but I don't think we're gonna overthrow the govt. any time soon,
so you have to figure out how to work within "the system".

When I worked for the Center for Science in the Public Interest (a group
with Nader lineage), I figured out a meta-theory about the issuespace.
Take a straight line and on the left end is the position that is the
current condition and the rightmost end of the line would be the hardest
core change position.  There are points all over, above and below the
line, in between those two points, representing the various positions
and directions that can be taken.

I learned that by taking the hardest core position--closest to that
rightmost endpoint--that you don't get it, but you get a lot more
movement toward the better position, than if you compromised at a much
earlier point.

Basically I say, "when you ask for nothing, that's what you get.  When
you ask for the world, you don't get it.  But you get a lot more than
nothing."

Richard Layman