[COMM-ORG] Virginia Organizing health reform organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 27 14:14:41 CDT 2010

  From: Joe Szakos Virginia Organizing <szakos at virginia-organizing.org>

Last week we let you know about the Governor's new Virginia Health
Reform Initiative Advisory Council, which he stacked with big insurance
CEOs, hospital CEOs and not a single consumer. We asked you to write
letters to the editor on the fact that the panel did not have a single
consumer. Your response has been amazing and letters are popping up in
newspapers across the state.

I would like to share with you an article that ran in the Richmond
Times-Dispatch this morning calling attention to the lack of consumers
on Governor McDonnell's panel.

Your efforts and energy have made a huge difference in holding the
McDonnell administration accountable to regular people.

Please take a moment to keep the pressure on by calling Governor
McDonnell at:

(804) 786-2211

Tell Governor McDonnell that:

·             There should be a consumer on the Virginia Health Reform
Initiative Advisory Council. And please get your friends and neighbors
to call, too.

·             Consumers like yourself know first hand what is wrong
with the health care system and should have a seat at the table!<o:p></o:p>

·             Putting hospital and big insurance CEOs in charge of
implementing the federal health care bill that they vehemently opposed
makes no sense at all.

If you have not done so already, please write a letter to the editor of
your local paper, too. And thanks for all that you do to fight for a
more just Virginia.

Joe Szakos

Executive Director

(434) 984-4655 x222

<o:p> </o:p><o:p></o:p>

Some say McDonnell's health-care panel needs representation from
consumers<o:p></o:p>

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/aug/24/hlth24-ar-469712/<o:p></o:p>

By http://www2.timesdispatch.com/staff/492/ Olympia Meola |
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Published: August 24,
20http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=the_times_dispat&guid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.timesdispatch.com%2Fnews%2F2010%2Faug%2F24%2Fhlth24-ar-469712%2F&targetUrl=
Buzz up! Richmond, Va. --<o:p></o:p>

The composition of Virginia's new health-care advisory panel is causing
some consumer advocates heartburn.

Gov. Bob McDonnell's council is tasked with helping the state prepare
for implementing the massive federal health-care reform and also with
overseeing a broad inspection of the state's system of care.

The 24 people doing that work include health-care professionals,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/industryterm/tags/insurance-executives/
insurance executives, legislators and members of the business community.
Missing at the table, some say, are the consumers.

"The people who provide the services have one perspective and the people
who use the services have another perspective," said
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/sarah-williams/
Sarah Williams, a
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/city/tags/bristol/ Bristol
resident who supported the federal health-care legislation. "I don't
think that with a one-sided panel that the consumer interest will be
reflected."

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/sarah-williams/
Williams recently wrote a letter to
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/editor/ the
editor of her newspaper calling for consumers to be added to the
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/organization/tags/virginia-health-reform-initiative-advisory-council/
Virginia Health Reform Initiative Advisory Council -- a cry echoed in
other corners of the state.

"I understand that the administration wanted it to consist largely of
people with day-to-day expertise on implementation and health-care
delivery, but it seems like they're really missing the mark with not
having uninsured and underinsured people who have not been able to get
care as part of the panel from the get-go," said
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/mira-signer/ Mira
Signer,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/executive-director/
executive director of the
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/organization/tags/national-alliance/
National Alliance on
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/medicalcondition/tags/mental-illness/
Mental Illness of
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/provinceorstate/tags/virginia/ Virginia.

"Those are the people who can really describe very accurately what's
really wrong with the system, what's missing, what really needs to be
addressed and what works well."

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/bill-hazel/ Dr.
Bill Hazel,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/secretary-of-health/
secretary of health and human resources, serves as the panel's
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/chairman/
chairman. He said yesterday that he thinks the administration has done a
thorough job of bringing together people with different perspectives,
including that of the patient.

Everyone at the table, be it health-care executives or
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/secretary/ the
secretary himself, are patients and have family members who have to
navigate the system, he noted.

"This is about making the system work better for everybody,"
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/bill-hazel/ Hazel
said. "The system is very complicated and the political blocks to
improving it are going to come from people with vested interests, and
they're the ones that need to be there and we have to get all of those
on the table in a situation where they can be addressed and discussed."

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/virginia-organizing/
Virginia Organizing, a
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/industryterm/tags/liberal-advocacy/
liberal advocacy group, is mobilizing its grass roots around the state,
urging people like
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/sarah-williams/
Williams to write letters or to contact the governor's office. The group
also wants to set up meetings with the five legislators on the
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/organization/tags/virginia-health-reform-initiative-advisory-council/
council.

"While we are very disappointed by the panel's makeup, we will be taking
every opportunity possible to make sure that consumers can weigh in on
the panel," said
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/janice-jay-johnson/
Janice "Jay" Johnson,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/chairwoman/
chairwoman of
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/virginia-organizing/
Virginia Organizing.

Additional people will be asked to serve on one of the council's six
task forces to drill into more specific issues,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/bill-hazel/ Hazel
said; all of those meetings will be open and the public will be given an
opportunity to speak.

But hearing from people in a public forum and having them at the table
are different, advocates insist.<o:p></o:p>

"This is a critical perspective that needs to be at the table where
decisions will be made. Providers,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/industryterm/tags/insurance/
insurance companies and academics are there. Consumers have vital
interests too," said
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/jill-hanken/ Jill
Hanken,
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/position/tags/staff-attorney/
staff attorney with the
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/organization/tags/virginia-poverty-law-center/
Virginia Poverty Law Center.

The result is a lopsided panel, said
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/person/tags/mira-signer/
Signer, with the
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/organization/tags/national-alliance/
mental health alliance, which is a statewide organization that focuses
on people with
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/medicalcondition/tags/serious-mental-illness/
serious mental illness.<o:p></o:p>

"The reality is that the people who have not had care and have been
marginalized are the ones who are able to describe very accurately
what's wrong with the system," she said. "Having them on equal footing
as http://www2.timesdispatch.com/topics/types/company/tags/anthem/
Anthem, it also send a message to those million people out there
pounding on the door saying 'Something's wrong, I can't get care.' It
sends a message that they're part of this."<o:p></o:p>

703 Concord Avenue

Charlottesville, VA 22903-5208

(434) 984-4655   (434) 984-2803 fax

http://www.virginia-organizing.org www.virginia-organizing.org