[COMM-ORG] query: Community organizing vs. Community Development

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 26 17:48:08 CDT 2010

  [ed:  thanks to Larry and John for continuing the discussion.]

From: Larry Yates <lamaryates at igc.org>

I haven't been reading the thread consistently, so I may be repetitive.
But just responding more or less to Richard Layman -- I certainly agree
that practitioners of community development and to a lesser extent
community organizing don't generate much meta-theory. And I agree this
is somewhat out of the need for each entity to emphasize its uniqueness
-- to funders in particular.

But I think there are a couple other major barriers. One is the
anti-ideological bias of USAns in general. While this has many roots, a
century plus of McCarthyism is certainly one of them. After all, the
more meta-theoretical we become the more likely we are to propose ideas
inconsistent with the corporate/capitalist/racist status quo (assuming,
as I do, that the status quo does not stand up to examination as a
rational system.)

It seems to me even fairly militant action is okay with USAns, as long
as it is seen as a one-off response to a particular injustice. But going
into a situation already having a (left) analysis is un-USAn, is the
sign that Boris and Natasha are conspiring to pollute our Constitutional
wellsprings, whether in Marxist or anarchist or Pan-African or social
justice Christian guise. So in our ordinary conversations, describing
the unique character of each situation we respond to is privileged above
explaining its roots in systemic problems.

Even the very limited meta-theory that exists around the role of planner
(as stated by the professional associations) is risky to practice. We
probably all know of cases where someone has taken the ethical/policy
role of planning too seriously, and tried to be more than just a
mediator/technician, and gotten fired or at least reprimanded. I am
thinking of an African-American woman here in Virginia who decided to at
least enforce what was on the books on developers. That was not
tolerated from her, and she was fired. CDC folks are not as much at risk
as local government planners, but the same pressures exist, because the
same major players generally call the shots. Thus, notoriously, CDCs
usually measure success not in terms of changes in the overall condition
of the community, but in structures built, jobs created, etc. -- even
though those may make no substantive difference. Quite often, after all,
the best measure of success for a community would be "Acme Manufacturing
no longer controls all the major decisions in the community; real
community involvement is now making a difference." Acme don't play that.

As a national organizer at the Center for Health, Environment and
Justice a few years ago, I talked to hundreds of grassroots people,
mostly with no organizing experience, about how to respond to local
environmental abuses. I operated from a fairly simple paradigm of
organizing, applying it to every community. In most cases, the folks
first explained why that wouldn't work in their community, and then,
lacking any other option, tried it anyway, and generally found that it
did work. CHEJ did not have a complicated meta-theory, but it did have a
meta-theory, shared with lots of other organizers. "Form a group, decide
what you want, identify the target, develop a strategy to change the
target's behavior, do it. Grassroots power, applied strategically, can
win sometimes. Democracy is a 24/7 way of life."

So I guess I think organizers do have a meta-theory of sorts -- and I
think this is because their organizations have more autonomy than CDCs,
and certainly more than local government planners.

But perhaps the real problem is that we can't have a common meta-theory
without having a common goal. Reading Richard's piece, I was struck by
the absence of that. Are we trying to make neighborhoods nicer? What
about gentrification? Are we trying to make transportation work better,
and for who? If a substantial number of us cannot/are not allowed to
construct (or adhere to) a meta-theory that rules out big box stores, or
favors cooperatives, or identifies homelessness as a more serious
systems failure than traffic congestion, why would we bother to be in
the meta-theory business? Instead, we nod and wink to each other that we
are all against the bad guys and on the side of good -- while often we
each are operating on very different assumptions.

It seems to me all of this is unlikely to change until there is, once
again, a visible left movement with mass support in the USA. From this
old practitioner's point of view, theory, meta or not, generally follows
practice, rather than guiding it.

Larry Yates
Winchester VA

 From John Atlas <jatlas4 at comcast.net>

You need do need investment  and a focus on rebuilding local economies
at the
micro level, but don't forger two lessons of the ACORN story.  Politics,
building a progressive movement  and  organizational scale, which means
building the capacity to win victories,  nationally.