[COMM-ORG] query: power dynamic simulation

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Aug 22 13:57:37 CDT 2010

  [ed:  thanks to Michael and Deborah for responding to Vicente's query.]

From: Michael Paone <mpaone12 at gmail.com>

Hi Vicente,

Two thoughts:

Have you ever seen tools for doing a Power Map?

I've done some of these exercises through Wellstone Action trainings,
which I've incorporated a bit in my work.  The Wellstone materials tend
to focus on the levers of power in the public sector, as they relate to
building a public policy based campaign.

Another more basic tool could be doing a Problem Tree.  This is more
useful in the phase of identifying problems (perhaps a health
disparity), and then extrapolating from that problem, to finding the
issues relating to it, and the causes underlying it.

Hope this helps!

Yours,

Michael Paone
Community Organizer
New York City Coalition Against Hunger
212.825.0028 ext. 215

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
potatoes. --Douglas Adams

****************************

From: "Deborah Zelli" <dzelli at kcsdv.org>

Hey Vicente,

As someone who works on a project funded by CDC and based on the social
ecological model and risk factors, I think this is a great idea. My
project focuses on the primary prevention of intimate partner and sexual
violence but a number of our risk factors include items that CDCs could
assist with (for example, poverty, etc.).

The public health field also does a lot of work on what they call Social
Determinants of Health. If you are looking for more ways to "make the
case," you may want to look at this area also (especially in Mass).

In terms of exercises, there are two that I use when we try to talk
about anti-oppression and intersectionality that might work for you:
1) The Power Line - this one is highly adaptable. Basically, you create
a number of personas in advance that represent the diversity within our
communities. Most personas will include factors that raise social status
and power and some that decrease social status. So, for example, one
person in the line might be an African-American, male, gay doctor while
another may be a heterosexual, white, factory worker. The audience lines
folks up on the "power line" from least power (which includes social
capital) to greatest power. The "trick" is - you only reveal certain
aspects of the persona at a time and the audience has to keep adjusting
the power line. So, using the example above, you might initially reveal
one person as a doctor. The audience usually puts them high on the power
line. In the next phase, you reveal he is gay. Now the audience has to
readjust the power line.  The exercise generates a great deal of
discussion about perceptions of power and adds aspects of
intersectionality of oppressions to the discussion (avoiding the
perennial problem of "Oppression Olympics."
2) Paul Kivel has a great exercise called "Ten Chairs." Ten chairs are
placed at the front of the room and ten participants sit in them. The
chairs represent resources and the facilitator re-allocates the chairs
based on a series of economic moves (for example, one person gets rich
and gets five chairs while the other 9 people are forced to share 5
chairs). Prior to the chairs, the facilitator can do a brief overview of
the economic pyramid (wealth distribution). The exercise really
highlights access to resources and power dynamics that help to maintain
economic divisions.

Both of these activities can be tweaked for time limitations and you get
some great discussion.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested in more info on these.

BTW - I think this is an awesome potential partnership and I might just
have to look into this in Kansas...

Debby
dzelli at kcsdv.org
Prevention Projects Team Leader
Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence