[COMM-ORG] Virginia Organizing health reform organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 21 10:00:43 CDT 2010

  From: Joe Szakos Virginia Organizing <szakos at virginia-organizing.org>

Dear Randy,

It seems like Governor Bob McDonnell finds a way to show how out of
touch he is with regular Virginians on a weekly basis! This week
Governor McDonald announced his 24-person Virginia Health Reform
Initiative Advisory Council, whose task it is to figure out ways to
implement the new national health care law in Virginia. This panel will
be advising on Medicaid reform, insurance reform, delivery and payment
reform, capacity, technology, and will have considerable influence on
the future of Virginia’s health care system.

The problem is that there is not one health care consumer or consumer
advocate on this panel! In fact, it is mostly made up of big business
leaders, hospital CEOs and of course the CEO of Anthem, C. Burke King.
As you may know, I found out just how much C. Burke King wants to hear
from health care consumers when I was arrested in front of Anthem last
year for trying to ask about our health insurance rates! I don’t have
any confidence that he or any of Governor McDonnell’s big business
appointees will look out for consumers like you and me.

For the last two years we fought—and won—the right to reign in the
insurance companies. Now, Governor McDonnell is putting them right back
in the driver seat without a single consumer to hold them accountable.

I find it offensive that our Governor thinks so little of Virginia
health care consumers and the uninsured that he would allow corporations
to speak on their behalf. So we are encouraging folks to write letters
to the editor about it. Would you take 10 minutes to write a letter to
the editor of your local newspaper? Here is a list of contacts for
newspapers across the state. Please email our Communications Director,
Julie Blust, at blust at virginia-organizing.org if you need any talking
points or tips on writing a letter to the editor.

Thanks for everything you have done to continue the fight for health
care for all Virginians. And thank you for supporting the idea that real
people should have a say in their government.

Take care,

Joe Szakos

Executive Director

(434) 984-4655 x222