[COMM-ORG] query: Community organizing vs. Community Development

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:51:43 CDT 2010

   [ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with replies to Luke's
reply.  A bit from me below.]

From: "Bretherton, Luke" <luke.bretherton at kcl.ac.uk>

Dear all,

There is a potentially very interesting (although not unproblematic)
constructive engagement by the new Conservative-Liberal government here in
the UK with community organizing. They are keen to support it without
co-opting it.  As part of a broader panel, I have been asked to help the
relevant civil servants and politicians work through some of the issues
related to this.

A big issue that has come up for them is the difference between community
development and community organizing.  I have some ideas on this and know a
bit of the early history, but I really need some academic articles or books
that systematically compare and contrast the two approaches and wondered if
anyone on the list could suggest any?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yours, luke
_________________________________

Dr Luke Bretherton
Senior Lecturer in Theology & Politics
Convener, Faith & Public Policy Forum

School of Social Science & Public Policy
King's College London
Franklins Wilkins Building
Waterloo Road
London SE1 9NH

Tel. +44 (0)20 7848 3243
Website: www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/education/staff/lbretherton.html

For information on the Faith & Public Policy Forum:
www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/education/research/faith.html

[ed:  I have done some writing about this.  Here is a quick list:
Stoecker, Randy.  2003. "Understanding the Development-Organizing
Dialectic." Journal of Urban Affairs, 25: 493-512.  Stoecker, Randy.
1997. "The Community Development Corporation Model of Urban
Redevelopment: A Critique and an Alternative." /Journal of Urban
Affairs/ 19:1-23.  Also (with some overlap):
http://comm-org.wisc.edu/drafts/orgdevppr2c.htm ,
http://comm-org.wisc.edu/drafts/socialcapitalprepub.htm ,
http://comm-org.wisc.edu/drafts/twopathsb2.htm.]