[COMM-ORG] Mike Morin introduction

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:41:19 CDT 2010

  [ed:  a big COMM-ORG welcome to Mike.]

From: "Mike Morin" <equityunion at earthlink.net>

Folks,

This is an attempt to identify myself and my work to a totally unknown
audience on this list. My primary interest is community organizing
around the issues of local and inter-community economic development. Are
there others out there that have that interest? I would like to "hear"
from you.

You can learn more about my work and about me by going to my web log
www.peoplesequityunion.blogspot.com

Meanwhile, the following communication may bring to bear issues for
discussion.

Thank you.

In Peace, Friendship, Community, Cooperation, and Solidarity,

Mike Morin

Dan,

Good idea to try to build solidarity among neighborhoods. Being a
Veteran of Eugene politics, I know that is easier said than done. It is
an insidious control that the Business People exhibit over the
governments. In Eugene, they have an organization, Downtown Eugene, Inc.
(DEI is the Latin word for God?), I call them what they are Downtown
Economic Imperialists and their tentacles spread along the arteries to
the malls and strip malls of this unsustainable, inequitable, hedonistic
sprawled mess. They make a mockery out of City Council and work directly
with City Management to further their Capitalist "growth" agenda. They
(landlords are well represented) dominate the Neighborhood Associations.
Workers and potential workers are apathetic, partially because they are
viewed and treated and act like consumers of alcohol, tobacco, and
festivities, and partially because anyone who is legitimately concerned
with the welfare of their Neighborhood residents learns quickly that
they are a tiny, virtually non-existent, minority to be ignored.

It is a large, sometimes seemingly insurmountable education and
organizing task. If we could get the neighborhood residents to
understand that there is a vision beyond the Capitalist trickle-down and
we could appeal to all peoples' concern for the progeny, then perhaps
with great solidarity we could change the ways and means by which
resources are allocated to and within communities (and within and among
economic sectors). That is our calling. If we can be true to that and
work diligently then it is not impossible for us to succeed. Two large
assumptions are in play here. One, that people still have legitimate
hopes for the youth and children, and secondly that people want to work
and they want to work hard, given the potential to realize a living
wage, equity, and a quality of life including bona fide prospects for
their offspring.

It's a tall order.