[COMM-ORG] NPA financial reform organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:36:00 CDT 2010

  From: National People's Action <npa at npa-us.org>

Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser:
http://showdowninamerica.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=660&qid=113293

August 13th, 2010

Members of National People's Action and Illinois People's Action broke
the story yesterday of exactly how Big Banks have been gaming the system
and making toxic loans to African-American and low income communities
under the radar, all the while receiving outstanding grades from
regulators.

But, we didn't stop there. We presented our research and our experience
in our communities in powerful testimonies at the Federal Reserve
calling for real quality community reinvestment.

Why just go to the Federal Reserve when the office of Illinois Bank of
America President Tim Maloney is right down the block?

While banks and Wall Street have recovered, our communities have not.
Over a hundred community leaders, including families facing foreclosure,
went to the downtown Chicago office of Bank of America to demand they
take action to clean up the mess they've caused.

This time, NPA and Showdown in America fought for Emma Hurd in Chicago,
a leader of Illinois People's Action (IPA). Emma and a hundred others
from IPA and Chicago groups (including South Austin Coalition and
Lakeview Action Coalition, Gender Just, and SOUL) paid a call on the
Chicago headquarters of BofA, where a delegation of protesters met Keith
Cockrell, BofA Market President and Julie Chavez, Senior Vice President
for Chicago.

By the end of the action including Illinois People's Action (IPA) and
Chicago groups (including South Austin Coalition and Lakeview Action
Coalition, Gender Just, and SOUL) an a agreement was reached with Bank
of America to sit down and try to work through the bank's mistakes on in
the family facing foreclosure case.

Like with Edda Lopez and Trenda Kennedy's situations– standing up and
standing together works.

National People's Action (NPA) is a Network of community power
organizations from across the country that work to advance a national
economic and racial justice agenda. NPA has over 200 organizers working
to unite everyday people in cities, towns, and rural communities
throughout the United States.

810 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
United States