[COMM-ORG] query: relational versus action organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 10 09:25:42 CDT 2010

  Hi COMM-ORG,

  A colleague, Brian Christens, and I have been having a very
interesting conversation about the differences between community
organizing models that are more relational compared to those that are
more confrontational.  His experience is more with congregation-based
organizing, and mine has been more with ACORN and unaffiliated
Alinsky-style neighborhood organizing groups.  We thought it would be
interesting to engage others in this conversation.  First, we are
looking for recent (2002 or later) examples of each model.  That may
lead to a broader research project if there are organizers and/or
organizing groups out there interested in exploring these questions with
us.  Second, we are interested in your perceptions of the two models.
How different do you think they really are?  What do you see as the
strengths and weaknesses of each?

Please feel very welcomed to reply to the list.

Thanks,

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG
rstoecker at wisc.edu