[COMM-ORG] National People's Action foreclosure organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Aug 8 14:43:43 CDT 2010

  From: National People's Action <npa at npa-us.org>

*View this email in your browser:
http://showdowninamerica.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=646&qid=109091

About a month ago, we brought you the story of Edda Lopez: a disabled
widow in the fight of her life with Bank of America.

Bank of America expected Edda Lopez to fall in line with their plans to
foreclose on her and her family, failing to recognize a loan payment
plan she set up with her former lender, before Bank of America bought
her loan.

But, Edda, her church, her neighborhood organization, and people like
you who signed the petition to save her home, had a different plan.

Bank of America has offered Edda a loan modification, she and her family
will be able to keep their home!

And, Edda has a message for all of us: organize, fight for your home and
community. It works.

We know there are over a million more families facing foreclosure from
Bank of America alone. Fourteen million home owners currently owe more
on their homes than they're worth. We need a solution for all of us. It
should not have taken two protests, a petition, and national attention
to keep one Bronx woman in her home.

These banks must do their part to reinvest in our communities and fix
the mess they created. Bank regulators need to ensure banks aren't
discriminating and selling toxic loans to African-Americans, Latinos and
low income borrowers.

Edda and her family have a request for us - tell the bank regulators we
need good community reinvestment.

Community reinvestment will ensure that banks like Bank of America clean
up the mess that they created. But just as they fought long and hard
against financial reform, Big Banks will surely fight to keep from
rebuilding their broken homes.

This is Round 2 of the fight to hold banks accountable, and we need your
help.

Bank regulators (the "bank cops") are holding hearings right now to
determine why and how banks need to reinvestment back into our communities.

Tell bank regulators we need reinvestment NOW. Submit a comment letter
to the bank regulators TODAY.

National People's Action (NPA) is a Network of community power
organizations from across the country that work to advance a national
economic and racial justice agenda.  NPA has over 200 organizers working
to unite everyday people in cities, towns, and rural communities
throughout the United States.

810 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
United States