[COMM-ORG] query: Reading(s) on the Tea Party?

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 7 15:09:02 CDT 2010

  Reading(s) on the Tea Party?
From: Peter Dreier <dreier at oxy.edu>

Colleagues:

I would like to include some readings about the Tea Party in my
Community Organizing class this fall. I’d appreciate help in identifying
some appropriate articles. I would prefer articles in magazines,
newspapers, and websites that describe what the Tea Party is, who its
members/followers are, how they organize, and what influence they’ve
had. I’m looking for readable, journalistic articles that both describe
and analyze the Tea Party. (The New Yorker did a profile of the Tea
Party a few months ago, but it wasn’t very readable).

I want students to learn how conservatives have utilized grassroots
organizing. I’ll continue to use a chapter of “Politically Incorrect” by
Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition, which describes
the CC’s organizing strategy. The Tea Party has many parallels with, but
is also quite different than, the Christian Coalition.

Any help would be much appreciated. If I get enough responses, I’ll
share the what I get with the rest of the CommOrg list. Thanks.

Peter

_______________________

Peter Dreier

E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics

Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Program

Occidental College

1600 Campus Road

Los Angeles, CA 90041

Phone: (323) 259-2913

Website: http://employees.oxy.edu/dreier

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in time of crisis
remain neutral" - Dante