[COMM-ORG] job: co-director, New York, with salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 21 10:01:56 CST 2009

From:
Julie Davids <jdavids at champnetwork.org>

Greetings - CHAMP is an innovated social change organization and we'd
appreciate if list members would pass this on to any potentially
interested candidates. Please note that we are looking for experienced
leaders with a strong movement background, but it does not have to be
specifically rooted in HIV/AIDS.

Very best,

Julie

Julie Davids
Co-Director
Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP)

Please excuse duplicate postings and forward appropriately:

CHAMP Announces Search for Co-Director
The Board of Directors of Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project
(CHAMP) is pleased to announce a search for a Co-Director. The job
posting is below and also can be downloaded here.

Background:

CHAMP is a national network of individuals and community-based
organizations that are committed to building a powerful movement
bridging HIV/AIDS, human rights, and struggles for social, racial and
economic justice, which we call HIV Prevention Justice.

This autumn, CHAMP engaged in strategic planning and developed a new,
sustainable structure that includes two Co-Directors as executive
leadership.

Julie Davids, who has been serving as CHAMP's Senior Consultant, has
been appointed Co-Director.

Kelly McGowan is serving as an Interim Co-Director for the duration of
the search and hiring process for our second Co-Director.

The Leadership CHAMP Needs:

We are seeking a co-leader who can work closely with a small staff and
an active and engaged Board and Advisory Committee to ensure that the
CHAMP Network responds quickly and effectively to the advocacy and
activism priorities that arise from our constituency.

Currently there are over 11,000 active members of our network: they
range from staff at AIDS Service Organizations to people living with
HIV, currently and formerly incarcerated people, researchers, LGBTQ
leaders and HIV/AIDS activists.

Our members look to us for leadership in strengthening the domestic AIDS
movement by ensuring that it is relevant to those most affected by the
epidemic. The CHAMP Co-Director will play a significant role harnessing
and directing the power of our network to pursue prevention justice.

The CHAMP Network Design:

CHAMP staff comprises two Co-Directors, a half-time Administrative
Manager and a Network Organizer who work closely with a working board of
directors and several diverse working groups and advisory groups.

The organizational structure is designed to focus resources on
grassroots movement building and mobilization capacity, and to respond
to strategic opportunities to ensure that national HIV/AIDS policies are
more just. The CHAMP Network aims to contribute to long-term progressive
social change and to bring members of the HIV/AIDS sector into broader
social justice and human rights efforts.

Job Posting: Co-Director

Job Title: Co-Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Administrative Manager, Program Staff, Consultants
Location: Flexible. Northeast US preferred
Hours: Full-time or prorated (4 days/week)
Salary: $70,000-$80,000 including benefits

Summary Job Description

Working closely with the other Co-Director, the Co-Director reports to
the board of directors, supervises staff and consultants, and engages in
key areas of work in order to ensure that CHAMP meets our goals as a
national network for HIV Prevention Justice.

Qualifications

* At least five years experience in a senior management position in the
social justice sector
* Masters degree or equivalent experience in human rights or social
justice movement building, policy development/advocacy, communications
or political education
* Expertise in one or more of the following not-for-profit management
skills: strategic planning and implementation, organizational
development, budget development and management, and/or board development
* Expertise in one or more of the following movement building skills:
leadership development, membership structures, network development,
strategic communications, political education, virtual/internet campaign
development, community organizing and/or coalition building
* Strong writing and verbal communication skills
* Proven fundraising experience
* Proven supervisor with staff development experience
* Experience with national campaigns or organizations desired
* Ability to work alone and collaboratively
* Ability to travel and work from home office desired

Responsibilities

We are looking for a well-rounded and proven leader with clearly-defined
skills; thus, the position will be adapted to reflect the distinct
strengths of each Co-Director in a highly collaborative environment and
the description below should be read as a guideline rather than an
absolute mandate.

Organizational Development:

* Strategic Planning: Collaborate with the Co-Director to ensure that
the organizational mission and core goals are accomplished and the board
of directors and advisory groups are engaged in policy setting and
messaging. Ensure a periodic reassessment of CHAMP's political and
strategic orientation with staff, board and key stakeholders as well as
at least annual review of progress toward medium and long-term goals.
* Organizational Structure: Collaborate with the Co-Director to ensure
that the organizational structure is designed to focus resources on
movement building and rapid and thoughtful responses to strategic
opportunities to ensure that national HIV/AIDS policies are more just.
* Budget Development and Management: Collaborate with the Co-Director to
ensure that organization, program and campaign budgets are realistic and
well managed.

Movement Building:

* Collaborate with the Co-Director to ensure that CHAMP Network is:
* Driven by an HIV prevention justice analysis
* Advised by the HIV Prevention Justice Alliance Steering Committee and
other appropriate outside advisors
* Built through community outreach (conference attendance,
collaborations, partnerships, etc)
* Built and maintained through Internet communications
* Built and maintained through publications
* Built through leadership opportunities
* Engaged and advanced through political education (webinars, workshops
and trainings)
* Activated to respond to strategic and time-limited policy
opportunities (rapid response email blasts and strategic campaigns)

Development Management:

Collaborate with Development Chair to ensure that:

* Annual development plan is approved by board of directors
* Prospects are researched
* Grant applications are completed on time
* Funder reports are completed and submitted on time
* Individual donor relationships are maintained
* Development records are maintained by the Administrative Manager, and
* His/her fellow co-director's grant writing and funder relations skills
are maximized

Volunteer and Network Leadership Supervision:

* Provide supervision and advocacy mentoring for CHAMP volunteers and
leaders in the CHAMP network
* Ensure that leadership development is integrated into the
organizational design and represented in budgets and work plans

Finance & Administration:

* Supervise the Administrative Manager to ensure that Financial
Management, Human Resources, Risk Management, Office/Intranet Management
and overall administrative management and support functions are
accomplished.

Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a salary competitive with nonprofit organizations
of similar size and an exceptional package for vacations, holidays, and
leave. These benefits include the following:

*

Medical and dental insurance (100 percent covered by employer).
*

Three weeks' paid vacation in first three years; four weeks' paid
vacation thereafter.
*

Paid sabbatical of up to eight weeks available in fourth year and every
fourth year thereafter.
*

Ten paid holidays annually.

How to Apply

Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and brief
writing sample to board at champnetwork.org

Home | Subscribe | Donate | Unsubscribe
80A Fourth Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Tel: 212.937.7955 • Fax: 401.633.7793 • E-mail: champ at champnetwork.org

www.champnetwork.org

Julie Davids

Co-Director
Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP)

New York, NY / Providence, RI

www.champnetwork.org

(212) 937-7955 x 70 / (646) 431-7525 mobile

"When it comes to prevention, we do not have to choose between values
and science….We
should lift the federal ban on needle exchange, which could dramatically
reduce rates of
infection among drug users.”
Barack Obama, Open letter to
LGBT Americans, November 2007