[COMM-ORG] job: organizer, New York, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 22 13:05:41 CST 2009

From: Sean Barry <barry at nycahn.org>

~ PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY ~

Date of posting: February 20, 2009

Job Opening: COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

The NYC AIDS Housing Network (NYCAHN) is seeking an experienced
organizer to expand our membership base and further advocacy campaigns.
The position will involve membership recruitment, mobilization, campaign
coordination and leadership development. We are seeking someone with a
commitment to developing grassroots leadership and effective organizing
strategies that result in concrete improvements that benefit the lives
of our members.

NYCAHN is a citywide membership organization led by low-income people
living with HIV/AIDS working in a unique coalition with nonprofit
HIV/AIDS housing and service providers. In our ten year history, we have
won many important victories guaranteeing the right to safe and
affordable housing, as well as addressing the root causes of the
epidemic related to healthcare, welfare, and criminal justice issues.
NYCAHN also supports VOCAL-NY Users Union (Voices of Community Advocates
and Leaders), a community organizing project led by former and active
drug users working to establish a public health and human rights based
response to drug use in our communities.

SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):

    * Membership recruitment: Increase the number of active members by
achieving targeted membership recruitment goals, especially through
outreach at welfare centers, AIDS service organizations and syringe
exchange programs.

    * Mobilization: Turning out large numbers of members to rallies,
meetings and other events through mass phone banking and
relationship-building.

    * Campaign coordination: Assist members in developing and
implementing organizing strategies to move campaigns forward. Campaign
coordination may include convening large strategy sessions, research,
writing and direct action.

    * Training & Leadership Development: Conduct advocacy and organizing
trainings for our individual members, especially through teach-ins and
workshops at AIDS housing and service organizations, and syringe
exchange programs.

    * Membership meetings: Convene regular membership meetings and
smaller campaign/committee meetings.

This position will be based in our Brooklyn, NY office, but will require
travel to all 5 boroughs. It will be supervised by our Lead Organizer.

REQUIREMENTS:

    * Minimum one year of community organizing experience.
    * Basic computer skills, including ability to use the internet,
email, wordprocessing (e.g. Microsoft Word) and spreadsheets (e.g.
Excel) programs.
    * Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills.
    * Ability to work independently and handle stressful situations.
    * Willingness to spend up to 50-75% outside the office working in
the field.
    * Bilingual Spanish-English speakers are strongly preferred.

SALARY & APPLICATION:

Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing samples (not necessary,
but helpful) and three reference contacts (name and phone number/email)
in Microsoft Word or PDF format to Sean Barry at barry at nycahn.org.

We are currently accepting applications and scheduling interviews. Those
interested should send an application now.

Salary is commensurate with experience. NYCAHN offers a generous
benefits package, four weeks of vacation and 100% employer-covered
health plan.

NYCAHN is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people living
with HIV/AIDS, women and LGBT people are strongly encouraged to apply.

Your cover letter should answer the following questions:

   1. Why are you interested in this position?
   2. Have you had experience in issue advocacy campaigns? If so, what
issues?
   3. Have you had experience building a membership organization or as
an organizer?
   4. What are your salary expectations?
   5. How did you hear about this opening? (Please be specific, telling
us who referred you or what publication or website listed the position)

--
Sean Barry
NYC AIDS Housing Network (NYCAHN)

office: (718) 802-9540, ext 10
cell: (646) 373-3344
NEW fax: (718) 228-2477
email: barry at nycahn.org
address: 80-A Fourth Ave / Brooklyn, NY 11217