[COMM-ORG] query: web-based software for organizers

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 16 20:54:23 CST 2009

[ed:  thanks to Al and Nadine for responding to Lane's query.]

From: Al Boss <alboss at sisypheans.org>

Hi, Lane.

I work with about a hundred or so others on Phil Bartle's excellent
all-volunteer Community Empowerment project (http://www.scn.org/cmp/).
Building community and collaboration among translators across dozens of
countries, from all walks of life, working in over a dozen languages,
and holding their interest when we can't promise them fame, fortune, or
even face-to-face contact, is quite the challenge.

We use Facebook. We can control access, who sees what, who joins, etc.,
we have a wealth of collaborative tools, and the work environment is
interesting enough that people hang around. We get a fair amount of
spontaneity and serendipity just out of having such a non-traditional
workspace, so to speak. It reminds me of my former employer that had no
offices and held all its company meetings in cafes and coffee houses. We
lingered more and collaborated much better than we did over conference
tables in cube farms and sterilized office towers.

I don't know how that idea will go over with your employer (or with you,
for that matter). Most university administrators, government entities,
businesses and nonprofits would be horrified at the idea. No control,
too easy for information to get out of hand, everyone will be spending
their time being unproductive and distracted, etc. Same objections as
were made with giving people Web access, and email before that, and
telephones at their desks before that, and windows in their offices, and
so on back to paintings on the cave walls.

As with any concerns, there's something to this one as well. Our
collective project is unusually blessed with committed volunteers who
have the ability to use a social media like Facebook for collaborative
work purposes without taking a hit on how much work we get done. We
might be a special case, but it's been my experience that the average
person can be trusted to not spend their day goofing off just because
they've been given a tool that could be used to that end.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out, and what
you decide on.

Best,

Al Boss
Seattle

*********************

From: Nadine <anacaona at gmail.com>

I'd go with CiviCRM:

The Open Source Solution for the Civic Sector
CiviCRM is an open source and freely downloadable constituent
relationship management solution. CiviCRM is web-based, open source,
internationalized, and designed specifically to meet the needs of
advocacy, non-profit and non-governmental groups. Integration with
both Drupal and Joomla! content management systems gives you the tools
to connect, communicate and activate your supporters and constituents.
http://civicrm.org/

It also works as a standalone server, and you can also comes with:
- civiCONTRIBUTE (Online fundraising and donor management.)
- civiEVENT (Online event registration and participant tracking.)
- civiMEMBER (Online signup and membership management)
- civiMAIL (Personalized email blasts and newsletters.).

If you don't have a web developer yet, I'd suggest Koumbit. They're a
worker's coop based in Montreal specialized in developing open-source
web solutions for non-profits. (www.koumbit.net).

Good luck!

Nadine