[COMM-ORG] query: web-based software for organizers

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:34:25 CST 2009

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with replies to Lane's
query.  A bit from me below.]

From: "Victorson, Lane A." <LVICTORSON at ssw.umaryland.edu>

Hello,

I know I have seen questions about technology for organizers and I tried
to hit on some of the technology and support resource links which ended
in error messages. But none-the-less it might be beneficial to hear from
you what you might be using currently.

What I'm looking for is web-based software (so the whole staff can
access it from various locations) that can act as a community phone book
in a way, housing basic contact information and in addition a simple
notes feature allowing for attachments where we can track info for each
resident that notates interactions, highlights leadership potential,
areas of strength and interest, etc. It can be pretty bare bones and
simplistic.  Ideally a report out feature would be nice.  I am aware of
constant contact, but that seems to be more of a marketing outward
thing...what I am looking for is an internal user friendly database,
preferably easy to use and inexpensive- long shot maybe?

Lane Victorson
Baltimore

[ed:  the Organizers Database http://www.organizersdb.org/, is on
offline option to look at.  Online, the movement now is toward content
management systems or CMSs, which are basically systems for managing
interactive websites with forums, file management, and contact
management.  An increasing number of these systems have contact
management plugins or features.  For organizations with an existing
website, the organizations that provides your website may already have
some of these options that you can access.  If not, you may search out a
new provider who can offer such a system.  There are so many options
right now that it may be easier to talk directly with your website
provider than to look for a provider that offers a particular system.]