[COMM-ORG] query: seeking advice regarding partnership agreements, copyright and IP

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 3 21:00:44 CST 2009

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with replies to Jessie's query.]

From:     Sutherland, Jessie C <jcsutherland at jibc.ca>

I have worked for several years developing a project that involves
community dialogues, courses, and research. The project has grown
rapidly  and so I decided it would be helpful to  partner with a larger
institution. We agreed to a one year term and are now negotiating a
longer term arrangement (I have been with the organization 6 months).
Part of our discussion includes working out an agreement around
copyright, ownership, and intellectual property. I would like to learn
what agreements people have made in similar situations using traditional
and non-traditional approaches. My goal is to come to an agreement that
will foster innovation and be best for the project and each party. fyi,
the larger institution is interested in keeping the copyright given the
fact that I am now their employee. I am interested in keeping the
copyright given the fact that I have worked on developing the project
for several years and consider it my life's work. Has anyone out there
worked out a creative solution - and can share with me how they worked
it out?

 Many thanks,
Jessie