[COMM-ORG] job: organizer, Citizen Action New York, no salary info.

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 1 15:54:53 CST 2009

From: Maurice Mitchell <maurice at lipc.org>

JOB OPPORTUNITY

CITIZEN ACTION OF NEW YORK CITY
SEEKS FULL TIME EXPERIENCED COMMUNITY/ISSUE ORGANIZER

ORGANIZE FOR CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM

Join the fight for social, economic and racial justice!

Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide
grassroots organizations in the country. Our NYC chapter seeks an organizer
for a full time position, who can start immediately to build citywide
grassroots and coalition support for public funding of elections in New York
State.  As a multi-issue organization we work on issues such as health care
for all and after-school programs.  After this initial campaign our NYC
organizer will work on our other issues.

    Responsibilities include:
.    Develop a diverse citywide coalition of advocacy groups, community
based organizations, and other partners around the issue of Campaign Finance
Reform/Public Funding of Election Campaings in New York State.
.    Execute a grassroots lobbying strategy focused on state legislators
in New York City.
.    Organize actions, mobilizations, issue forums, phone banks, press
conferences/media coverage and other activities as part of our issue and
electoral campaigns.
.    Recruit members, build our volunteer base and train local members
and leaders.

    Qualifications:
.    Experience organizing issue and/or electoral campaigns.
.    Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
.    A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic,
      strategic and planning skills.

.    Ability to work evenings and weekends.
.    A working knowledge of NYC and NYS politics a plus.
.    Fluent Spanish language skills a plus.

Compensation:

.    Salary commensurate with experience.
.    Full health benefits (no premium).
.    Paid vacation, sick days and personal days.

Please send resume and cover letter to the attention of Maurice Mitchell,
Long Island Progressive Coalition Lead Organizer / Citizen Action of New
York Downstate Organizing Director.

Citizen Action of NY is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build
an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda.  People
of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email: maurice at lipc.org  Fax: 516-541-2113

Maurice Mitchell

Long Island Progressive Coalition
90 Pennsylvania Ave