ACORN and voter registration

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 29 21:01:34 CDT 2008

[ed:  here is more information from ACORN.  The conference call time in
Brian's message has also passed.]

From:  Brian Kettering <flacornho at acornmail.net>

Please see ACORN's first ever paid TV ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs20Lxb6RqQ being unveiled today.

There will be a conference call with reporters to discuss the ad and
other aspects of the fight back against voter suppression at 12 noon EST
today.

Media Conference Call:

12 Noon EST, Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Call information: 1-800-351-6805, password: 92530

*****************************

From:  Bertha Lewis <newsacorn at acorn.org>

Dear Friends,

Thank you for standing with ACORN in the face of vicious attacks from
the McCain campaign, FOX news, and others. It means the world to us.

Right now, we're focused on what we do best: educating and turning out
voters on election day. This is no easy task, even in a good year, and
this year is one tough year. We are deeply concerned about reports of
partisan-driven voter suppression in New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Ohio,
California, and Virginia. Can you help us fight back? We've created
ACORN's first-ever TV commercial to take the fight to the airwaves as
part of our comprehensive offensive against voter suppression. It starts
airing Thursday, October 30 on national cable TV.

Here's what's happening:

? In Philadelphia, fliers were distributed in a predominantly African
American neighborhood which suggested that people with legal troubles or
unpaid traffic violations will be arrested by undercover cops when they
show up to vote.

?In Hamilton County, Ohio, Prosecutor Joe Deters - who is also the local
chair of the McCain-Palin campaign - requested via subpoena personal
information for 40% of voters who participated in same-day registration.

?In Montgomery County, Virginia, a registrar issued a memo giving
incorrect and intimidating information to students at Virginia Tech
University about the consequences of registering to vote, including
possible loss of financial aid and tax dependence status.

?In Ontario, California, the owner of a firm that the California
Republican Party hired to register tens of thousands of voters was
arrested on suspicion of voter registration fraud after dozens of voters
reported that the firm tricked them into registering with the GOP by
asking them to sign a petition they believed to be aimed at toughening
penalties against child molesters.

Our commercial highlights these attacks - educating voters about what
suppression looks like - and asks the McCain campaign to stop the
suppression happening on his behalf. As you can see, this is happening
all over the country. We need your help to fight back and ensure that
all the voters ACORN helped register can cast a ballot and have that
ballot counted. Please contribute what you can - any amount helps. Click
on www.acorn.org/donate.

Nothing is more important to the fabric of our democracy than protecting
the rights of American voters. Senator McCain should instead join us in
trying to make it easier for voters to exercise their rights, by calling
for measures such as extending early voting hours, to facilitate the
greatest possible participation in this historic election.

One more thing - please know that we are so grateful and honored by your
support today. It's good to know that you and so many others are doing
as much as you can during this final week. Thank you.

Sincerely

Bertha Lewis, Chief Organizer

Jon Kest, Executive Director

P.S. If you haven't already, please do sign our petition to the McCain
campaign to stop the attacks on ACORN and the people we serve, and then
spread the truth to your friends and family.
www.acorn.org/truth

ACORN is the nation's largest community organization of low- and
moderate-income families, with over 400,000 member families organized
into neighborhood chapters in 100 cities across the country. Since 1970
ACORN has taken action and won victories on issues of concern to our
members. Our priorities include: better housing for first time
homebuyers and tenants, living wages for low-wage workers, more
investment in our communities from banks and governments, and better
public schools. ACORN is an acronym, and each letter should be
capitalized. ACORN stands for the Association of Community Organizations
for Reform Now.

ACORN's website is at http://www.acorn.org.