ACORN and voter registration

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 26 16:21:32 CDT 2008

[ed:  more from Peter.]

From: "Peter Dreier" <dreier at oxy.edu>

Friends and Colleagues:

The Republican attack on ACORN, the community organizing group, has
accelerated dramatically in the last few weeks, with John McCain, Sarah
Palin, conservative columnists and bloggers, and right-wing TV and radio
talk show hosts all joining in the anti-ACORN chorus.  Among other
assaults, they have been scapegoating ACORN for  Wall Street's
disastrous lending spree. As John Atlas and I reveal in our article,
"The GOP's Blame-ACORN  Game,"
(http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081110/dreier_atlas), which appears in
the November 10 issue and also on-line, the accusations are completely
bogus. Despite that reality, the campaign against ACORN has gotten
traction because the conservative echo chamber has been effective at
injecting their views into the mainstream, especially since McCain and
Palin have jumped on the anti-ACORN bandwagon.  John and I will be
discussing the anti-ACORN campaign on Laura Flanders' "RadioNation" show
this weekend, which you can listen to on your local Air America station
(check here for times:
http://www.lauraflanders.com/pages/radionation.html) or by podcast
(http://thenation.hipcast.com/rss/radionation.xml)

In the current issue of the Jewish Daily Forward, I debate Obama vs.
McCain with Yuval Levin, who served as associate director of the Bush
White House Domestic Policy Council from 2004 through 2006 and is now a
fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, a conservative think
tank.  Our dueling columns are posted on the newspaper's website -- my
column, "Obama Would Bring Out the Best In Us"
(http://www.forward.com/articles/14420) and Levin's "McCain Offers
Substantive Solution."  (http://www.forward.com/articles/14419)

Peter
_____________________________________
Peter Dreier
Dr. E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics
Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Program
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone: (323) 259-2913
FAX: (323) 259-2734
Website: http://employees.oxy.edu/dreier

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great
moral crises maintain their neutrality" - Dante