ACORN and voter registration

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:55:23 CDT 2008

[ed:  developments with ACORN are coming very quickly, and are worth
following.  First below is a post from Nathan.  Also, a New York Times
article discusses an internal report to ACORN.  See
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/us/22acorn.html?scp=2&sq=acorn&st=cse
for the Times article "Acorn Report Raises Issues of Legality." (this
article was behind a member logon for me, so you may need to do a search
for the article title if the url does not work).  ACORN's response
includes a statement from the lawyer who issued the report and disputes
the spin of the Times article.   ACORN has also announced Bertha Lewis's
selection as chief organizer.  I do not find these two things on their
website, so am sending them out from their e-mail list.  The ACORN
website, http://www.acorn.org has a great deal of reading on all of
this.  There are clearly many issues to be discussed here.  Passions for
and against ACORN are both very strong, and I encourage a careful,
reflective analysis.  Some thoughts from me at the end.]

From: "Nathan Henderson-James" <nathanhj at gmail.com>

ACORN and Brave New Films have released a video responding directly the
attacks on ACORN's voter registration work. You can find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdNgMKPV9xQ

Feel free to watch and send around. People need to see the truth about
ACORN's work.

Nathan Henderson-James