Query: Good films on youth organizing and action

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 18 13:22:54 CDT 2008

[ed:  thanks to Adam, Laine, Karen, and Ann for responses to Betty's query.]

From: "Adam Sotak" <adamsotak at democracy-nc.org>

Elena Everett with Independent Voices Media in Durham, NC might be a
good resource. Her email is: greentararaider at yahoo.com. She's filmed
university sit-ins, protests, etc. Also, check out:
http://indyvoices.blogspot.com/

Adam Sotak, MSW, Organizing Director
Democracy North Carolina

***************************

From: "Laine Romero-Alston" <LaineRA at solidago.org>

There are several, but a few that I am familiar with are:
A film made by the Chinatown Justice Project of CAAAV: Organizing Asian
Communities about gentrification in Chinatown. The film is a number of
years old now, but the youth and growing tenant union continue to do
amazing work in the community.
http://www.caaav.org/resources

Another great group working with LGBT youth of color in NYC is FIERCE.
Here is the link to some of their independent media work.
http://www.fiercenyc.org/index.php?s=78
http://www.fiercenyc.org/index.php?s=120

Also check out Global Action Project
http://www.global-action.org/main.html
They support several youth organizing groups to produce their own media.

There is tons more out there, but these are ones I have worked with
directly in the past.

Hope this helps.

Laine Romero-Alston
Program Officer
Solidago Foundation
25 Main Street, Suite 439
Northampton, MA 01060
413-587-0174 (ph) 413-587-0175 (fax)
LaineRA at solidago.org

**************************

From: "Gray, Karen A." <karen.gray at ou.edu>

"Holding Ground" about Dudley Street is not new, but 2 youths featured
in the film (who were highschool students then) are now the e.d. of the
CDC and CLT, which I find very inspirational!
KG

From:m "Ann Pratt" <prattworks at earthlink.net>

There is an awesome documentary about the young people's march in Selma
during the civil rights movement.  I think its called the Children's March.