query: innovative anti-violence groups

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 15 12:29:02 CDT 2008

[ed: please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with responses to Melissa's
query.]

From:
"Melissa Spatz" <womenandgirlscan at gmail.com>

The Women and Girls Collective Action Network and DePaul University's
Program in Women's and Gender Studies are collaborating on a national
documentation project of anti-violence groups.  This work expands the
findings of the December 2007 report, "Communities Engaged in Resisting
Violence" (see link: http://comm-org.wisc.edu/papers2008/russo.htm)
nationally.  "Communities Engaged in Resisting Violence" documents the
dialogues and work of Chicago area activists and organizations who are
using alternative models, outside of the social service and criminal
justice systems, to address interpersonal and state violence.

Currently, we are in search of individuals and groups around the country
who are engaged in dialogues and processes using alternative models and
strategies to connect anti-violence work with community building,
mobilize and expand communities' capacities to end violence through
organizing and accountability, and see social justice as a central part
of anti-violence work.

Our goals for this project are multifaceted.  We foremost intend to
bring visibility to social justice work around anti-violence, thus
further galvanizing a shift ignited by INCITE! in the Domestic Violence
movement.  We see this documentation as part of an ongoing series of
writing projects including, and not limited to, blogging, academic
papers and community organization reports.  Eventually, we envision a
national convening of groups as a forum to share frameworks, strategies
and tactics.
If you are involved in this work, or know of rad groups who are, please
let us know!  Send us contact information including and not limited to:
group name / email / website / contact person / mailing address / phone
number

Email responses to innovations4justice at gmail.com.

 // please forward widely //

--