query: community organizing concepts

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:54:46 CDT 2008

[ed: please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with responses to James'
query. A couple of things from me below.]

From: james whelan <james at thechangeagency.org>

Hi comm-org friends
I’d appreciate your advice. Climate change activists I’m working with
have difficulty understanding the concepts of mobilizing, movement
building, community organizing and civil disobedience. These are
expressions that members of their team use regularly, but often without
a clearly shared understanding. Are there articles or other resources
you’d suggest for the group? What have you read (or written) that helped
you appreciate these concepts?
James

[ed: I have done a "primer on community organizing" for one community
group at http://comm-org.wisc.edu/cr/crreporta.htm. Also see an article
at
http://www.socialpolicy.org/fileadmin/SocialPolicy/images/zemsky_mann.pdf--apologies
for the pdf format.]