new book: anti-workfare organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 5 08:50:34 CDT 2008

[ed:  congrats to John on the new book.]

From: <jkrinsky at ccny.cuny.edu>

Dear Comm-org-ers,

I would like to let you know about my new book, Free Labor: Workfare and
the Contested Language of Neoliberalism (U. Chicago Press, 2008).

It is an analysis of efforts, including those by community
organizations, in New York City, to oppose the workfare program
implemented by Rudy Giuliani in the 1990s, and continued, in many
respects (though not all) under Mayor Bloomberg.

The book has several chapters that may be of interest to an audience
primarily interested in labor and poor-people's organizing, and some
(sometimes heavy-going) analysis of the ways in which these groups
managed to change the terms of debate over workfare locally, even in
ways that were not always clear or obvious to them.

I apologize for the self-promotion, but I hope that others may find the
ideas and approaches in my analysis useful for their own work.

Best,

John Krinsky