New Book: Identify work in Social Movements

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 3 11:21:38 CDT 2008

[ed:  thanks to Heidi foe continuing the discussion.]

From: swarts at andromeda.rutgers.edu

Dear Betty,
the one response I have for you is a guess: that the civil rights movement
has been written about more than any other social movement of the 20th
century. While work that consciously examines identity formation is only a
subset of that vast body of work, I think a lot of the work does treat the
topic: for instance, change of identity from nonviolent pacifists and
church members to a masculinist black power identity. The literature on
leadership in the movement has to do with gender identity; women were
obscured as leaders and created new identities as different kinds of
leaders, modeled after Ella Baker (see Belinda Robnett on women as bridge
leaders, Charles Payne's article on Baker in SIGNS). Most recently I think
of Francesca Polletta's book FREEDOM IS AN ENDLESS MEETING, chapter on
SNCC, and other work by her on how at first, participatory democracy
emphasizing equality in decision-making was seen as black (in SNCC) and
then later, after Black Power, it became seen as quintessentially white!!
She has an article on this, I believe, or a book chapter. And these are
just a few of the examples I can think of. Just the work on helping
southern blacks change their self-perceptions from powerless to powerful,
and how that was done also fits this topic. So there's a ton of work.

Heidi Swarts, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Political Science
Rutgers University-Newark