query: research on beauty and economy

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 30 10:18:10 CDT 2008

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with replies to Laurel's query.]

From: "Laurel Opgaard" <laurel_dti at sbcglobal.net>

Has anyone got, or ever seen a study showing the correlation between
aesthetically pleasing communities and positive economic growth?  I am in
the process of beginning a public art program for our downtown and need to
find information to pass along to an 'artistically challenged' group of
community leaders.  I think hard numbers would very likely be the most
persuasive argument to woo them over to my way of thinking, and hopefully
funding for my project.

Laurel Opgaard
Project Coordinator
Downtown Topeka, Inc.