New wave advertising agency leader looks at organizing process of Obama campaign

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 29 10:47:12 CDT 2008

From: Larry Yates <llyates at shentel.net>

This is an article that I think will be interesting to many organizers,
regardless of their choice (or lack of choice) of a presidential candidate.

AdWeek, a trade magazine for the advertising industry, analyzes the
Obama campaign's innovations in these areas:
Leveraging the power of inspiration
Bottom-up brand management
Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic and Timed objectives
Social networking infused with healthy competition
Use of storefronts to galvanize online/offline activities

Certainly all things that organizers think about, though not always in
these words.

The author, Illana Bryant, is clearly paying attention to the technical
aspects of the campaign, and describes them intelligently and in some
detail, for a brief article.

Her perspective? She is the global chief strategic officer at
StrawberryFrog, a business that seeks to "create highly effective and
efficient cultural movements" on behalf of clients like Old Navy,
Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Credit Suisse and PharmaciaUpjohn. It refers to
itself as "your friendly local neighborhood global advertising agency."

There are a lot of juicy questions here, folks, about power, about
selling oneself, about selling out, about what a movement is, and about
the validity of just plain good organizing. And, of course, about how
the corporate structures constantly scrutinize and try to incorporate
the best grassroots work and cultural innovation for its own goals.

The 'hood meets the Netizens meets the Boys on the Bus meets Madison
Avenue (and yes I know all of those catchwords are so dated -- it's just
hard to keep up...).

Here's the URL for the article:
http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/community/columns/other-columns/e3i714b5acb6525107fda1eb890ff94a48a

Thanks to an old comrade across the Atlantic for sending me this article.

Larry Yates
VOP Valley Organizer
P.O. Box 245
Maurertown VA 22644