new book: American Crisis, Southern Solutions

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 25 19:36:08 CDT 2008

From:     Nina Gregg <ngregg at worldnet.att.net>

 From: Brian Seidman <inquiries at newsouthbooks.com>

 I write to announce the publication of American Crisis, Southern
 Solutions: From Where We Stand, Promise and Peril, a new collection  of
 essays about the current American political landscape which Vernon  Jordan
 calls "the political season's smart-to-read book." In this  volume, editor
 Anthony Dunbar and seventeen Southern writers,  historians, business- and
 labor-watchers, and philosophers --  anchored by economist and former U.S.
 Secretary of Labor Ray Marshall  -- reexamine some of the issues raised in
 the 2004 collection of  essays, Where We Stand, Voices of Southern
 Dissent, which warned of  the dangers of reelecting George W. Bush and of
 white Southerners  unquestioningly casting their political lot with
 fundamentalism and  conservatism.

 In American Crisis, nine of the 2004 essayists and nine new ones  offer
 provocative suggestions for a fresh path America should follow  in
 governance, international affairs, the environment, workplace  security,
 freedom of the press, and immigration reform. They present  "Southern
 Solutions," based upon Southern experience, to a nation  that has drifted
 far off course.

 Charles Reagan Wilson at the Center for the Study of Southern Culture
 notes that "American Crisis, Southern Solutions brims with insights  about
 our national predicament and ways that Southern experience can  provide
 models for change."  The book includes essays by J. Drew  Lanham, Wade
 Rathke, Jason Berry, Charles Bussey, Dan T. Carter,  Danny Duncan Collum,
 Doug Davis, Leslie Dunbar, Glenn Feldman, Daniel  Pollitt, Susan Ford
 Wiltshire, Frye Gaillard, Laughlin McDonald,  Janisse Ray, Gene Nichol,
 and Ellen Spears.

 We invite you to read an excerpt from American Crisis via Google Book
 Search (http://books.google.com/books?vid=1588382281), or learn more
 about the contributors at the NewSouth Books website, http://
 www.newsouthbooks.com/acss

 To order by phone, call toll free (866) 639-7688.

 If I can answer any questions or provide more details about American
 Crisis, Southern Solutions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

 Sincerely,

 Brian Seidman
 Managing Editor, NewSouth Books
 PO Box 1588, Montgomery, AL 36102