job: director, Massachusetts, with salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 23 21:12:34 CDT 2008

From: "Susan Egmont" <segmont at egmontassociates.com>

Title: Massachusetts Affiliate Director

Salary: $90,000-$105,000 plus excellent benefits

Position Available: Immediately

Stand for Children, an innovative, influential voice for better public
schools, is looking for an exceptional person to lead its fast-growing
Massachusetts affiliate toward greater scale and impact.

The Organization

Stand for Children works to improve public schools by harnessing the
collective political power of parents and other concerned citizens. Our
successful Cambridge-based Massachusetts affiliate has nine local
Chapters, 750 members, and a tremendous statewide Advisory Board made up
of business and civic leaders. We have helped increase state aid to
public schools by hundreds of millions of dollars through vigorous
grassroots lobbying, including a 2007 statehouse rally with more than
2,000 participants from 85 different communities, and in-district
meetings with legislators across the state. In addition, through
lobbying and campaigning, we’ve reduced class sizes and preserved
counselors, librarians, and nurses by securing more than $10 million in
local school funding.

The Massachusetts affiliate has an annual budget of $1,000,000 and an
outstanding staff of seven including a Supervising Organizer, five
Organizers, a Director of Policy, a Development and Communications
Associate and an Office Manager.

The Position

Stand for Children’s next Affiliate Director has a tremendous
opportunity to scale the organization and increase its impact on public
schools across the state. Key ongoing responsibilities include ensuring
the expansion of our grassroots base, leading our statewide campaigns,
and fundraising.

Qualifications

The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:

▪ Strong commitment to improving public schools

▪ Community organizing, political organizing, campaigning, lobbying, or
relevant leadership experience

▪ An entrepreneurial orientation and the drive and management ability to
achieve key outcomes

▪ Strong interpersonal, communications, and team-building skills

▪ Self-awareness and a hunger to take advantage of Stand for Children’s
tremendous emphasis on staff development

▪ Residence in or ability to relocate to the Metro-Boston area

For more information, please see www.stand.org.

Stand for Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer and candidates of
color are strongly encouraged to apply.

To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary history to:

segmont at egmontassociates.com

Egmont Associates, 85 East India Row #24F Boston, MA 02110

Word documents as attachments only; no need to apply by multiple media.