job: education organizer, Rochester NY, with salary info
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 23 21:10:56 CDT 2008
From: gtree61 at riseup.net
The Alliance for Quality Education in Rochester, NY seeks a full-time
organizer to empower the community to fight for quality education
throughout New York State. Ability to communicate with different ages,
ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds is necessary. Applicant must be a
self starter and motivated individual. The organizer will work on both
local and statewide education issues.
The organizer will:
• Recruit members by meeting individually with community members
interested in achieving equitable and quality education for all.
• Plan and implement large mobilizations and media events (at least 4
large events per year)
• Arranging workshops and other training for leadership development
• Actively work to incorporate racial justice in all areas of work.
• Coordinate volunteers in planning campaign strategies and tactics
• Engage in public outreach to build organization infrastructure.
• Participate in local and statewide coalition-building
• Prepare agendas for monthly core meetings
• Track all work done through providing timely reports
• Delegate responsibilities and organize people to work on projects
Organizer should have following skills and attributes:
• Creativity, innovation, and decision making skills.
• Own transportation is a requirement.
• Ability to think organizationally
• Public speaking skills
• Basic computer skills
• Motivated to work without supervision
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work as part of a statewide team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong commitment to social and racial justice
• Must be willing to work various hours and some weekends
The Alliance for Quality Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People of color are encouraged to apply.
Competitive benefits and salary $28,000- $32,000. Please send resume and
cover letter explaining how your experience relates to community
organizing to tanya_metroj at frontiernet.net. Deadline April 14.
More information about the Colist