Making Policy Public -- call for proposals

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 16 17:59:39 CDT 2008

[ed: a big COMM-ORG welcome to Valeria.]

From: Valeria <valeria at anothercupdevelopment.org>

Hi, my name is Valeria, I'm new to the comm-org listserv. I'm writing
from the Center for Urban Pedagogy (CUP), a Brooklyn-based non-profit,
in the hopes that our call for proposals may be of interest to the
community organizations participating in this network.

All the best,

Valeria

Call for Proposals
MAKING POLICY PUBLIC
An Educational Poster Fellowship

CUP is seeking proposals for the next issues of Making Policy Public,
CUP’s series of fold-out posters that brings advocates and designers
together to create visual explanations of public policy issues. We are
looking for advocates, organizations, and researchers with complex
policy issues that need visual explanation. Advocates chosen through the
juried submission process will receive 1000 copies of the color
publication to distribute directly to their constituents and an
honorarium of $1000. CUP will manage the research, editing, and
production processes and will provide additional staffing.

Making Policy Public uses innovative graphic design to explore and
explain public policy. Each publication is the product of a commissioned
collaboration between a designer and an advocate. This series aims to
make information on public policy truly public: accessible, meaningful,
and shared. Organizations can reach and expand their constituency
through design.

Applicants should be interested in engaging in a collaborative design
process and, most of all, interested in explaining an aspect of public
policy. The series defines public policy broadly. Topics could range
from the barriers to re-entry for formerly incarcerated people in
Upstate New York to the social implications of the private equity boom.
Although CUP is a New York City-based organization, submissions need not
address New York specifically. Topics could range in scope from the
governmental to the informal, and in scale from the local to the
international. Applicants from any discipline, professional status, or
age are eligible, but you must be able to attend meetings in New York City.

Proposals must be received by April 21, 2008, no later than 5 pm. To
apply, visit
www.makingpolicypublic.net

The Cargo Chain, the most recent issue of Making Policy Public, is an
organizing tool for longshore workers that shows the players and
pressure points in today’s globalized shipping network. The publication
was produced through a collaboration between the Longshore Workers
Coalition, Labor Notes (a quarterly journal of labor journalism and
research), cartographer Bill Rankin, and the graphic design office
Thumb. The first issue of Making Policy Public, Social Security Risk
Machine, describes how the Social Security System manages risk on the
scale of a society.

The Center for Urban Pedagogy (CUP) is a nonprofit organization that
helps people understand and change the places they live. To learn more
about CUP visit
www.anothercupdevelopment.org

Making Policy Public is funded in part by New York State Council on the
Arts, the New York City Department
of Cultural Affairs, the Diane Middleton Foundation, and the Brooklyn
Arts Council.

Contact: Valeria Mogilevich
The Center for Urban Pedagogy (CUP)
(718) 596-7721