New Grassroots Community and Youth Organizing Special Interest Group

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 14 09:18:53 CDT 2008

From: Michelle Renee <mrenee at ucla.edu>

Hi COMM-ORG,

We have just formed a Special Interest Group(SIG) within the American
Education Research Association (AERA) focused on grassroots community
and youth organizing for education reform.  We are having our first
meeting and celebration during the AERA conference in New York this
year.  We welcome researchers, organizers, advocates and anyone
interested to join us!  Here is the information,

Come Celebrate Our New AERA SIG!

Grassroots Community and Youth Organizing for Education Reform

Tuesday, March 25 from 6:15-8:45pm

Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers / Central Park East, 2nd Floor

Agenda

6:15-6:30            Welcome

6:30-7:00            Group discussion: Future directions of our SIG

7:00-7:45            Invited Presentation on Youth Organizing for
Education Reform in New York, Philadelphia and Oakland with Members of:

Sistas and Brothas United

Make the Road

Future of Tomorrow

All City Council Oakland Unified School District

Da Town Researchers

7:45-8:45  Celebration and Reception

Support Provided by Hazen Foundation, Surdna Foundation and Oakland
Unified School District

  If you would like to join our SIG, and get our email updates,
please send you email address, institutional affiliation and full
name to Dr. Michelle Renee at mrenee at ucla.edu