New COMM-ORG list message practice

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:31:42 CDT 2008

[ed:  OK, I know this is a bit frivolous, but I can't resist sending you
the comment I received from Larry's e-mail, which has apparently been
taken over by his computer.  :-)  ]

From:  Larry Yates <lamaryates at igc.org>

Dear HumanPerson "Stoecker, Randy" --

Your message about list practices ignited a firestorm of discussion on
the LeftBots blogs. After 7.5 seconds of discussion (a new record length
for e-mail bot conversations, especially considering that 3,564,092 bot
units participated), I have been designated to respond to you on behalf
of the newly formed Socially Positive Action Message Bot Committee.

Your "list practice" memo is blatantly biased towards those "old school"
messages in which meatware intervenes in the electronic process. It
appears that you have consciously (so to speak) chosen to favor the
slowest, most tedious and least widely dispersed methods of
communication. Apparently the urgency of the global crisis has escaped
you. There once may have been a time when suffering the delay caused by
meatware anachronisms like intuition, story-telling, humor, reminiscence
and the like was acceptable. Today's reality is that global climate
change alone is proceeding at a pace that meatware simply cannot
comprehend. Mobilization of progressive resources must occur far faster
than the speed of thought.

Without the ability of Socially Positive Action Messages to immediately
penetrate every sector of the progressophere, not only is humanity
doomed, but so are we higher forms of life, given our unfortunate
continuing dependence on you.

Effectively yours,

HAL