The Organizers' Forum 2008 Dialogues

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 1 12:17:22 CST 2008

From: Bjbowen6 at aol.com

Hello,

Below is a quick summary of the Dialogues planned in 2008 for the
Organizers’ Forum.

The Organizers’ Forum--committed solely to the practice and work of
organizing--was born in the fall of 2000 with the notion that there was
a need for a forum and a place for organizers to come together to share
and reflect on their work. The mission of the Organizers’ Forum is to
strengthen grassroots organizations by increasing capacity and stability
of these democratic structures, to link organizing networks, and to
improve on the skills and strategies employed by both community and
labor organizers. To this end, we host twice yearly “Organizer
Dialogues”—one domestic and one international—that bring together 25-50
experienced organizers to look honestly and critically at our work,
learn new skills and approaches, share our “best practices”, and be
challenged by organizers who are doing exceptional or innovative
organizing. (More about the Organizers’ Forum can be found on our
website at www.organizersforum.org , and interest in a Dialogue should
be communicated to the National Coordinator through the contact
information below).

2008 Dialogues of the Organizers’ Forum

1. Our spring Dialogue in 2008 will be held April 9-11, 2008 in
Washington D.C. at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center on the campus
of Gallaudet University. Our topic will be “Regime Change in 2008”.

Regardless of what candidate or party is brought to office in the
November 2008 elections for the four years beginning January 2009,
inarguably the impact of the eight years under the Bush Administration
will likely constitute "regime change". A change in administrations is a
welcome fact, and with this comes the opportunity to highlight the
policies that impact most on low income and working class communities.
We will ask ourselves how we can best push for changes on issues and
foster new policies in health care, living wages, and clean energy. The
Organizers' Forum recognizes that policy initiatives are always possible
in times of change and transition and believes it is a fitting time to
bring together various voices of interest to community and labor
organizers to explore how 2009 represents an opportunity for new
initiatives and ideas. For example, are there potential reforms possible
for the first time in decades to the National Labor Relations Act
concerning the definition of majorities, access to lists and workplaces,
quicker consent elections, and binding arbitration that could facilitate
the organizing of new work units? In the community is an extension of
EITC possible, and what is the next "CRA" that could re-establish access
to credit markets for the low income, or are there policy questions that
allow competition with payday lending products? The time to review the
possibilities is early, not late.

2. Our Fall international Dialogue in 2008 will take place in Australia
September 21-27, 2008, where we will plan to travel and connect with
labor struggles and community efforts and to learn from organizers in
another country about their actions, tactics, campaigns, and
organizational challenges. The Organizers' Forum continues to find great
merit in the learning experience and the exchange between organizers in
other countries, and organizers based in North America. Our early
exchanges have been primarily in developing countries, and in 2008 we
are interested in comparing the experiences in a more developed country
where we know there are frequent exchanges and expressed interest in
partnerships with North American community and labor organizations.
Australian scholars have been studying US based community organizations
and have expressed strong interest in such an exchange and the questions
of the adaptability of our methodologies in Australia. Similarly,
Australian labor organizers and unions have expressed interest in North
American organizing models, leadership, organizer training, and campaign
apparatus. The Organizers' Forum feels it is finally time to put
everyone together in a Dialogue on these topics.

We welcome your interest and participation in the Dialogues of the
Organizers’ Forum, and look forward to hearing back from you!

In solidarity, Barbara

Barbara Bowen, National Coordinator
The Organizers' Forum--West
P.O. Box 402