query: political campaigns and community organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 24 10:59:53 CST 2008

[ed:  thanks to Jackie for continuing the discussion.]

From: Jackendall at aol.com

Kathy,

Glad to hear you are still out there doing good work and passing it on.

The Midwest Academy continues to train new (and old!) organizers.  The
Carter era VISTA program placed 400 VISTA Volunteers with the Midwest
Academy.  Many leaders of progressive organizations, institutions and
government came out of that program.

One of the biggest challenges that we all face after every election is
that there are not enough organizing jobs to accommodate the number of
people that were active in the election.

After Clinton won his first election many of the progressive
organizations actually laid off their field staff thinking "they" had
won.  Although in many cases it was forced on them because funding dried up.

Regardless of who wins we will have to organize in 2009 and beyond.
Hopefully we will be offensive and not defensive fights.  However if the
past is any indication of the future the roller coaster cycle of funding
will mean that organizations that "staffed up" during this election year
will not only be unable to hire new talent they will be laying off their
current staff.

So Dave is right we need to be thinking now about how to keep many of
the election year activists involved beyond the election.  Even if there
are not enough paid jobs to go around, organizations that don't have
ongoing volunteer programs might think about structuring them in to keep
people involved.

Hopefully there will be a major campaign for health care for all, a
massive program for youth (a la Carter VISTA program) and we can work
for and win significant social, racial, and economic justice.

Jackie Kendall
Executive Director
Midwest Academy
www.midwestacademy.com